tie rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tie rod

so i would like to replace my tie rods while i have everything else apart after doing clutch is replacing the inner tie rod hard or is it mainly just using the right tool which i can rent at autozone

Sometimes-mostly if its never been replaced- there is a roll pin that has to be punched out. Mine didnt have them. But the outer tie rod is on there quite tight. I used locktite and no roll pin when reinstalling mine. If someone did that to yours some heat will help loosen the loctite.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

They can be a bear to get to and break loose. I can tell you that 1988-9 have different pitch threads than the 90-3, and the early racks have a roll pin that must be removed before trying to remove them. There is a special tool to remove them, but I do not use it.It is designed to make the removal easier with the rack in the car because it is tight getting in there to them. Be sure you don't crack the pinion gear trying to break the inner end loose. They always seemed to me like there was locktite on them, so I always removed the rack before doing inners, but always had a spare rack already done, and change it out with the engine/trans out of the way while doing a clutch or changing out an engine, so I cheat....
      Have owned 9 so far
      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

I've done one of outers, the other had to go to a shop to get it off. Mark the location on the rod so the wheels aren't out of alignment when the new ones go on.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I was going to replace my inners since I had a bunch of play. I ordered some new inner rods and after looking at them, I didn't see how they could wear much. My assumption is that the bushings wears, which apparently you can't get, so I just replaced the whole rack.
          Rick
          1993 Ford Festiva
          1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
          1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
          2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
            I was going to replace my inners since I had a bunch of play. I ordered some new inner rods and after looking at them, I didn't see how they could wear much. My assumption is that the bushings wears, which apparently you can't get, so I just replaced the whole rack.
            The ball and socket joint wears from bumps in the road. It also corrodes, the grease gets washed out if the boot leaks...
            Festiva i just bought had 100k miles. Inner tie rods had a little bit of play. when i took stuff apart and turned the inners you could feel the spot where a groove had been beaten into the ball by the socket. It was rough and tight to turn except for the spot where it had been. That was loose

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

There super easy, I've never removed the roll pin just used a pipe wrench and turned them off.
              As stated above, the 88-89 ones are different then the 90-93
              I use the 88-89 rack and pinion because the bushings seam to last much longer but the 88-89 inners are harder to find
              I always order them on line (rock auto)

Comment

Ok rented the tool which with the adapter fits the new rod but the 1 3/16 is just a little to big for the old one does amy one know the right size it's a 91 if that helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Pipe wrench lol. My guess is 29 or 30 mm

Comment

Working...
                  X