Braking........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braking........

Been having brake issues for a while. They work, but after some on-off braking around town I lose my high peddle, it sinks to about half. MC is full. After the ride and sitting over night, my high peddle is back. Could this be due to the fluid I have in it now, after working on them and adding a lot of this fluid?

Using standard dot 3?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Have you flushed out the brake system of all the old fluid? Sounds like you may have a fluid backflow restriction. Start at the passenger rear, bleed brake until you get clear fluid. Next, driver rear, P-front, then D-front. Since brake fluid will absorb water, brake lines will rust from the inside out. Why car companies don't suggest flushing as part of routine maintaince, I don't understand. Probably because they don't want people to drive 20something year old cars.

Comment

I'm thinking I need a new master cylinder. I set up a front caliper to bleed it and pumped the brake pedal, after a few tiny bubbles nothing came out the bleed screw and the mc fluid never went down no matter how much I pumped the pedal.. I set up an IV on the bleed screw with some clear plastic fishtank tubing and a funnel.

Comment

If the MC is still good, that brake line is clogged. Suggest undoing both ends and try to blow out with an air compressor. Reconnect & try bleeding again. If still no fluid comes out, MC is bad, [probably clogged] replace. When Meineke & others replace disc,s & shoes, they

Comment

If the MC is still good, that brake line is clogged. Suggest undoing both ends and try to blow out with an air compressor. Reconnect & try bleeding again. If still no fluid comes out, MC is bad, [probably clogged] replace. When Meineke & others replace disc,s & shoes, they back push fluid enough to fit them. Any trash or corrosion stays. Be sure and flush after replacing MC or brake line. Be SAFE Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by rap View Post
              If the MC is still good, that brake line is clogged. Suggest undoing both ends and try to blow out with an air compressor. Reconnect & try bleeding again. If still no fluid comes out, MC is bad, [probably clogged] replace. When Meineke & others replace disc,s & shoes, they
              A clogged line would cause a very firm pedal. The master cylinder can generate over 2000psi... If there's no fluid, then there's no pressure from the master = bad master.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

And most manufacturers recommend changing brake fluid. Here in southern Arizona every 2 years/25K miles is fine.

At the risk of getting flack, the correct fluid for our cars is Ate type 200.
                No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post

At the risk of getting flack, the correct fluid for our cars is Ate type 200.
                  [emoji4] why?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

At the risk of getting flack?
                    Because some feel strongly about their favorite fluid against all engineering, scientific, and empirical data.

Why is it the correct fluid? Cause Ate designed the system and that is what they said to use.
                    No car too fast !

Comment

You could also use Ate Super Blue Racing, which has a special dye which turns green if overheated to the point the fluid is damaged. Unless you live in the states, where we have a "save people, they are idiots" Federal law which says brake fluid shall be clear or amber, so we don't confuse it with some other fluid.
                      No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                      X