Radio problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio problems

I pulled a radio from another car - stock radio with cassette - wired it up according to the service manual wiring diagram - I confirmed I have 12V hot always and 12V with ignition but the radio doesn't work...

Is there an internal fuse or something I should know about?

Originally posted by justinhw View Post
    I pulled a radio from another car - stock radio with cassette - wired it up according to the service manual wiring diagram - I confirmed I have 12V hot always and 12V with ignition but the radio doesn't work...

Is there an internal fuse or something I should know about?
    A radio out of another festiva or some other car?
    Were you able to try the radio in whatever it came out of or not?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

out of a festiva - stock radio from a '91 or '92 - wasn't able to test it but wanted to know if there is something quick I can check like a fuse before calling it a bust

Comment

I got one that looks great and all but would not come on. I turned it on and off several times and it started working. I guess the volume control/on off switch is intermittent. Now I just never turn it off. Hope yours turns out to be just as simple. Double check wiring, make sure it is grounded and the 12 volts is where it should be.

Comment

You said you wired it up, were the oem plugs cut off the factory harness?

Comment

yah the OEM plugs were in but the wires were cut - I just soldered them to mine - but now I'm wondering if the '91+ radios were wired different than my '89 - my wiring diagram I used is a '89

Comment

Were the colors correct? Have you checked for 12 volts at the plug where it goes in the radio. should be a hot all the time and one that switches with the key. Not to sound dumb, but have you checked fuses? Mine came with the OEM connectors plugged in the radio and I had to solder them in like yours. All the wire colors matched perfectly.

Comment

yup- i have constant 12V at the plug with one wire (white/red wire) and a ACC switched 12V at the blue/yellow wire that is in a connector with 2 wires. The other 2 connectors are for the speakers (4 wires each, all blue, all green). I did confirm power with a multimeter so as far as I know that's all good.

Comment

One more dumb question: there is a 3rd power wire that illuminates/dimms the radio lights when the headlights are on right? Did you try turning your lights on to see if the radio would come on then or would light up? Perhaps the acc and illumination wires are switched.
                  Also you are using the radio's ground wire when testing for voltage with your multimeter right?

Comment

Good thought - Yes i'm not sure what color the 3rd power wire is but when i turn on the headlights the radio backlights come on

Yup I am checking using the radio's ground wire on the back of the radio.

Thanks for all your thoughts I will keep working on it but these are things I never would have thought of.

Comment

Well took the radio apart and discovered the input transformer is shot - need to find a new one....may be difficult......

Comment

Are your speakers OK? I changed radios, then found out the problem was with the new speakers I had recently put in.

Comment

Originally posted by justinhw View Post
                          Well took the radio apart and discovered the input transformer is shot - need to find a new one....may be difficult....
                          Is there a specific reason you are wanting to stick with a 25 year old radio vs. a new aftermarket unit?
                          Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                          Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                          Feel free to PM me anytime!
                          Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                          Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

I just like the original stuff, never liked aftermarket radios. Hopefully i'm in the minority and there will be someone willing to get rid of theirs if I can't get parts. I did post in the classifieds section and may have some luck
                            Last edited by justinhw; 07-12-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I see. OEM radios are definitely still out there, but finding ones in good condition is just not very easy, especially with how old they are now. Especially when you can get a very high quality aftermarket unit nowadays for 50-60 bucks.

At any rate, good luck with your hunt!
                              Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                              Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                              Feel free to PM me anytime!
                              Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                              Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Working...
                              X