AC idel up solinoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC idel up solinoid

OK guys I pulled a dealer installed ac from a wreck that had no engine but it did have pressure in the lines. I took all the parts and wireing .I put it into my car and charged it, it blows in low 50 deg air with a fan blowing over the condenser at idel but the car don't idel up like most do. I was thinking that the ecm would idel it up when comperesor kicked in .So my question is was there a solinoid on the engine to kick the idel up whith the comressor ?
    Donn

Originally posted by twopass View Post
    OK guys I pulled a dealer installed ac from a wreck that had no engine but it did have pressure in the lines. I took all the parts and wireing .I put it into my car and charged it, it blows in low 50 deg air with a fan blowing over the condenser at idel but the car don't idel up like most do. I was thinking that the ecm would idel it up when comperesor kicked in .So my question is was there a solinoid on the engine to kick the idel up whith the comressor ?
    Auto or manual?
    I would say no, but i dont then want someone to tell me i am wrong [emoji14]
    99% sure manual trans would have nothing to do that with.
    But maybe an auto with cruise? Lol.
    Im thinking the idle up is more an obd2 thing.
    1990new would know. And theres someone else who memorized the wiring diagrams or something. Hopefully someone can tell you for sure

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryanprins13; 08-08-2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

My '88 idles up with the fan on 2 or 3, and when I switch the headlights on. No A/C so not sure about that, but there is something that bumps the idle up on carb'd cars. I haven't messed with my other '88 with A/C enough to see if it idles up when the air is on.
      '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
      '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
      '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
      '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
      '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
      '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
      How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
      How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

I think the higher idle is done with the IAC.
        Rick
        1993 Ford Festiva
        1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
        1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
        2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
          I think the higher idle is done with the IAC.
          It is on efi, carbed doesnt have an IAC as far as i know. I hadnt considered how the carbed cars work.
          Originally posted by theastronaut View Post
          My '88 idles up with the fan on 2 or 3, and when I switch the headlights on. No A/C so not sure about that, but there is something that bumps the idle up on carb'd cars. I haven't messed with my other '88 with A/C enough to see if it idles up when the air is on.
          Is that perhaps based on alternator load? I know my efi just idles lower when you really load up the alternator. But i remember after a wiring harness fire on my last one before i rewired it it would idle up when you hit the brake pedal, turned radio on (iirc) and the idle would change not when you pressed and depressed the clutch but from putting it in gear or back into neutral when the clutch was down. It was weird.

Comment

car is 93 with b8 from protege with festiva 5 speed ,air is from 91 with 5 speed but it is either dealer or aftermarket .air harness pluged in at dash and at battery/rad area with only 1 relay on firewall on passenger side .If all that helps Only rreason Im looking is that if you come to a stop sighn the car wants to die if you dont turn off the air button.I bumped up idel to 1000 rpm but when not useing the air thats to high.
            Donn

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
              It is on efi, carbed doesnt have an IAC as far as i know. I hadnt considered how the carbed cars work.

Is that perhaps based on alternator load? I know my efi just idles lower when you really load up the alternator. But i remember after a wiring harness fire on my last one before i rewired it it would idle up when you hit the brake pedal, turned radio on (iirc) and the idle would change not when you pressed and depressed the clutch but from putting it in gear or back into neutral when the clutch was down. It was weird.

Adding load on the alternator was my guess. It jumps up about 200 rpm I think, I'll have to check it next time I drive it. I'm trying to figure out a solution to the A/C idle drop once I swap in the B6d and Webers, hoping the original carb has a solenoid that bumps the linkage that I can adapt.
              '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
              '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
              '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
              '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
              '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
              '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
              How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
              How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

Not sure. A feedback carb has an actuator to increase idle speed.
                I installed an idle up solenoid in my car because I got rid of my feedback carb.
                When power flows through the A/C switch with the fan on, I used an existing non-functional wire to send power to the idle up solenoid. It is adjustable. I can regulate how much vacuum flows through to the vacuum diaphram to pull down a little more on the throttle linkage.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 08-08-2017, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Im going to go look thru the yard and find an electric solinoid from an old carb car and relay it to the compresser clutch, and the fan too because that does not come on with the ac now.
                  Donn

Comment

Originally posted by twopass View Post
                    car is 93 with b8 from protege with festiva 5 speed ,air is from 91 with 5 speed but it is either dealer or aftermarket .air harness pluged in at dash and at battery/rad area with only 1 relay on firewall on passenger side .If all that helps Only rreason Im looking is that if you come to a stop sighn the car wants to die if you dont turn off the air button.I bumped up idel to 1000 rpm but when not useing the air thats to high.
                    I am not familiar with the b8 so i cant help you there, sorry.
                    Is it supposed to have an IAC valve?
                    What happens if you turn the radio loud, rear defrosters on, high beams on, step on the brakes and turn the fan on high but no a/c?
                    My b3 manual trans has no idle up feature on the a/c components and runs just fine with the ac on at idle.
                    Has 3 relays under the battery tray though

Comment

Idle up on EFI cars is controlled by the ECU from input from the AC system. Idle up on the carb cars is done similarly via an external solenoid.

John, your car (once warm) should NOT bump idle EXCEPT when the AC is engaged. Your 88 w/o AC needs to have the idle comp set screw adjusted so that idle remains the same regardless of the load. Your AC car should do the same up until the AC is engaged, then there should be a 200 rpm jump.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                        Idle up on EFI cars is controlled by the ECU from input from the AC system. Idle up on the carb cars is done similarly via an external solenoid.

John, your car (once warm) should NOT bump idle EXCEPT when the AC is engaged. Your 88 w/o AC needs to have the idle comp set screw adjusted so that idle remains the same regardless of the load. Your AC car should do the same up until the AC is engaged, then there should be a 200 rpm jump.
                        On manual and autos? When i installed the ac into my car there appeared to be no connection between the a/c wiring harness and the car harness other than to recieve positive power.

Comment

Yes on both, the signal runs through 2 relay circuits for the fans.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

keep in mind that this is a dealer installed a/c. it'd be great if someone had the actual install instructions from the ford kit but most likely 99 out of 100 were actually installed by the dealer and the customer given an instruction card for operation.
                            dealer installed a/c would be a stripped down version of factory a/c and even though the group of "kits" that make up the install were specifically designed for the festiva it's possible an idle up solenoid wasn't part of it. but doesn't the ECU maintain idle RPM regardless of load?
                            the EVTM shows an output to the throttle kicker solenoid for carbed cars only and no output to any idle up solenoid on EFI cars.

Comment

There is no solenoid for the EFI cars, its done through the IAC

Comment

Working...
                              X