CEL Plug Missing? (Solved!) Description & Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CEL Plug Missing? (Solved!) Description & Pictures

Long story short...I don't have the physical spot to read codes under my hood...but I see the PCM might and I'm wondering if that's my next option for retrieving any codes.

93 model, fuel injected, 5 speed, ~350,000 miles, fourth owner, resurrected 3800 miles ago (October 2016) after 5+ years of storage by previous owner. At one point in the late 90's it was stolen from California and ended up abandoned in Texas over a year later (who knows how that happened), so I'm assuming the car wasn't necessarily well cared for in the past...

Under my hood I DO HAVE:
    -white single-pin rpm connector (not a yellow/green wire)
    -black six-pin connector (only three wires in it)
    -black two-pin connector (where the two are positioned 90 degrees from each other)

Under my hood I DO NOT HAVE:
    -any other single-pin connectors in that area
    -any yellow wires with green stripes/tracers

Just to be sure, I grounded the pins from the white single-pin rpm connector, and both pins on the two-pin connector (one at a time, of course)...and then repeated those tests again using a second grounding spot. I'm ruling out "stupid owner disease" as best I can.

The PCM has a Data Link Connector (STI) at pin K...and pin K uses a yellow/green wire.

Unless there's another way to get the codes, is it possible to read them by grounding pin K?

I've spent literally two days working on this...under the hood and online...and I'm pretty sure there's not a thread about this particular thing yet.
    (Saying this is the surest way for someone to post a link to the Exact Thing I'm talking about, making it look like I never bothered to use the Search feature. If that's the case, I'll gladly eat my humble pie if I can figure out how to read my codes!)

SINCERE THANKS IN ADVANCE. I'm dead in the water right now. :-(
    I am currently Festivaless. I am without Festiva. Non-Festiva. I'm UnFestiva'ed. Living post-Festiva. Ex-Festiva Life. Hashtag sad :'-(

PS - Please send very low-dollar offers. Currently looking to buy, but will have to empty the couch cushions to do so. Hashtag sad, again.

Have you unravelled the tape off where the other wires meet the harness to see if it was cut off and taped over?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is what its supposed to look like. The single pin you need is the one with green tape. It mees the harness with the 2 pin and the other bigger one. The tach signal meets the harness ahead of those 3.
      So unravel the tape where your 2pin and 6 pin meet the harness.

Comment

Solved. SINCERE thanks Ryan... you hit the nail on the head. It'd been cut and re-taped a good ways back. I started removing tape and thought "Wow, this tape held up really well considering the age... and the Texas heat... which usually makes tape turn into something akin to crisp bacon..... ... ... ... this isn't the factory tape."

Pulled enough back, and there's my yellow/green wire.

Good Thinking. Thanks Ryan :-)
        I am currently Festivaless. I am without Festiva. Non-Festiva. I'm UnFestiva'ed. Living post-Festiva. Ex-Festiva Life. Hashtag sad :'-(

PS - Please send very low-dollar offers. Currently looking to buy, but will have to empty the couch cushions to do so. Hashtag sad, again.

Comment

So... anyone know how I can re-title this post? Don't want future searchers with *genuinely* complicated problems wasting their time reading about my adventures with electrical tape...heh...

Comment

Very nice! After all this research you must be a master of reading codes, so once you read yours and have your problems fixed and are bored want to help me with mine?
            Still not sure what my code is. I have a video of it and my question in post #80 here if you get time.https://fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59836

I hope yours is a simple one to read!

Comment

And 350k miles is pretty impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                So... anyone know how I can re-title this post? Don't want future searchers with *genuinely* complicated problems wasting their time reading about my adventures with electrical tape...heh...
                I can fix the title for you. What would you like it to say?
                Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                Feel free to PM me anytime!
                Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Ryan: I've replied to the post you linked, but in case future searchers want to know without clicking, here's the short version:

Here's what I've learned. The flashes are separated by a ~4 second long pause between different codes, and a ~2 second long pause between each digit of a two-digit code.

Comment

Will: Whatever seems apropos is okay with me :-)

What do you think of: "Pic & Description of the plug you ground to read codes" ... since Ryan's post is the first one I've seen which actually photographs the STI (Self Test Input) plug. Or, yaknow, whatever you feel is better...or cleaner...or...uh... ...better :-)

Comment

There are a few other threads that include pictures, but they may have been lost in Photobuckets stupidity.
                      Ryan's pictures are very useful indeed! At some point, we will make a sticky describing the CEL process, and I will make sure to mention the possibility of the plug being taped up.

I re-titled the thread "CEL Plug Missing? (Solved!) Description & Pictures"
                      Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

How to find me:

Comment

Most excellent, Will... thank you :-)

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                          Most excellent, Will... thank you :-)
                          Anytime! Good luck with your repairs!
                          Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

What did your code end up being?

Comment

My codes were 8, 9, 1, & 17 (in that order). Slowly but surely working my way through the testing procedures...

Comment

Working...
                              X