Automatic 92 festiva transmission leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic 92 festiva transmission leak

I just got myself a 92 festiva and I knew it had tranny issues when I bought it. I've come to find out that the leak is more persistent than I initially believed. In the intense hot weather we've been having (and when I park the car on a downhill slope of any kind) I'll lose up to 2 quarts of transmission fluid. I put some blue devil transmission stop leak into it and 3 days (400 miles later) nothing seems to be any better. I don't even know where to begin looking for the source of the leak or whether or not it's going to be salvageable.
    Any advice?

Check cv shaft seals on the transmission, they are the usual culprit. Also the fill port- if you dont get the speedo gear all the way back in there it will leak out there when your driving. Easiest typically is to pressurewash the grease off, then see where it leaks but with how much yours leaks you may just be able to tell, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably CV Shaft Seals like stated above.
      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

WE know what we are refering to the parts guy may not as they may be refered to as final drive seals or differential seals, So if you get a puzzled look when you say cv shaft seals see if the other terms help him. I do not know but do festys have a rubber plug in the center of the final drive flange? If so where do you source them? On the Watercooled VW stuff you bought the flange seals as a kit, new seal,new plug.new retaining ring.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Output shaft seal if your looking for the more proper term, if its that heres some part numbers.

Comment

We have 6 Items In-stock.

Top Sellers
            Shop By Model
            final drive seal kit.jpg
            Hebmuller W0133-1638840 Final Drive Seal Kit
            $33.85 $37.44 You Save $3.59 (10%)
            Add to Cart
            Availability: In Stock, 1-2 Business Days
            Only from APW Rewards

HEBMULLER FINAL DRIVE SEAL KIT

A high quality replacement for your part.

Brand SKU#: Hebmuller W0133-1638840
            Quantity Sold: Kit
            Anticipated Ship Out Time: 1-2 Business Days
            Warranty: 2-year limited warranty
            Aren't car parts funny ?When I asked about the rubber plug , duh festy axles slide through the center not bolted to flanges like VW, I've always bought and used the kits for the VWs. Sorry if I confused anyone I gotta get VWs out of my brain..
            And that was nice of Ryan to get the part numbers.
            Last edited by ricko1966; 09-01-2017, 10:17 PM.
            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
              . Also the fill port- if you dont get the speedo gear all the way back in there it will leak out there when your driving.
              Automatics don't fill by the speedo gear, that is for manual trans only. The autos have a dipstick tube.

Anywho, a leak that nasty and with that orientation, I'd be strongly looking at the trans pan for pinches or pin holes.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Oops, sorry, wasnt thinking

Comment

Working...
                X