LF suggestions for listening device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LF suggestions for listening device

I'd like to put a listening device in the engine compartment so I can listen to the engine while driving. I can imagine a microphone in the engine compartment and earplugs in the passenger compartment but not what's in between. Something like an old MP3 player which I know has and earphone jack but not a microphone. One of those memory aid recording devices where you record messages to yourself would have both microphone and ear phone jack but would not pass the signal driectly from the mic to the earphones. It would record the sound for later play back. Any suggestions? Thanks.

PS I don't think a piece of hose or two tin cans and some string would work. I think it needs to be something with batteries and electricity.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Walkie Talkies???

Comment

use your cell phone and a bluetooth speaker or bluetooth headset.Or borrow a friends cell phone call it and put your phone under the hood listen to your friends phone. Buy decent quaility 2way jobsite radios tape the mic button down put it under the hood and listen to the other one. I have used all 3 off those methods in other situations,like towing a car with a rope you can tell your buddy speed up slow down etc.or aiming television antanaes satelite and over the air antanae, turn the TV up take your listening device with you listen to your test tone or your favorite station to work rotate antanae tell it goes away rotate tell it comes back and until it goes away the other direction midway from where it goes away is centered. Works for finding TDC when you have no timing marks as well take out your plugs put a dowell in the number 1 plug hole rotate the engine tell you touch the dowell make a reference mark on your pulley that aligns with a cover bolt etc. rotate the other direction when u touch the dowell make a mark 1/2 way point is true tdc.
      Last edited by ricko1966; 09-04-2017, 11:56 AM.
      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

You understand the concept of 2 plastic cups with a string between right? (Im just not sure if everyone did that as a kid)
        If so, you need a large face oil pressure gauge and copper tubing for it. Put as few bends in the copper as possible. I promise you will hear every noise the engine makes [emoji14]
        But they make noise amplifiers for almost deaf people. We used to find them in thrift stores. One of those in the engine bay with long headphones?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you trying to listen for detonation /track down a rattle or something like that?
          Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Just want to listen for anything out of the ordinary or suboptimal performance. Should be able to hear bearings or any looseness going over bumps too. Would like to install some device permenantly and turn on or off at will. Good ideas. Thanks.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Try searching google for "Electronic det cans" or "chassis ears"
              Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

^^^ thanks for that suggestion. There are a number of amazing devices from GPS trackers which will shut down the car under certian conditions to spy bugs to listen in on conversations. I found a "medium quality" microphone/earplugs device for $8 Canadian with free shipping which looks interesting and would allow me to drive along listening to what's going on under the hood.

Comment

Working...
                X