New Old Bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Old Bird

I have an 88 L model festiva that was handed down to me that i have some pretty gnarly plans for, but for now, to get it running. She sat for roughly 15yrs now and i dont ever remember why she stopped running. I havent Jumped into it yet on account of technical difficulties and dont know where to even start. Any Ideas?

Where I'd start is check the oil level, then put a battery in it. I hope it turns over if so pull the fuel line at carb and route the fuel line into a bottle. Fill the carb with fresh fuel [I do this through the carb vent on most vehicles using a mustard bottle],pour a little fuel down the carb throat will it start and run? Awesome drain and refill all fluids,change the fuel filter and do a tuneup.If it doesn't start and run. You'll need to start trouble shooting,Air/Fuel-Spark-Compression plenty of people here to help with that.
    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

richo is right on point. I might add before cranking it over pull the plugs and squirt a little oil down the cylinders to lubricate the rings and cylinder walls. Put the plugs back in and ground the high tension lead from the coil and crank her over until you see the oil light go out. This will ensure the bottom end will be lubricated when it starts. Connect the coil lead to the distributor and fire that mother up! Good luck
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
        richo is right on point. I might add before cranking it over pull the plugs and squirt a little oil down the cylinders to lubricate the rings and cylinder walls. Put the plugs back in and ground the high tension lead from the coil and crank her over until you see the oil light go out. This will ensure the bottom end will be lubricated when it starts. Connect the coil lead to the distributor and fire that mother up! Good luck
        Good point about bringing up the oil pressure and lubing the cylinder walls. FWIW I make all kinds of crap out of garden sprayers, they are cheap and make good preoilers,brake bleeders,transmission/differental fillers,engine degreasers,and I might add carpet cleaners. Vacuum,Garden sprayer full of hot h20 lysol and dawn,wet/dry vac rinse,wet dry vac.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
          Good point about bringing up the oil pressure and lubing the cylinder walls. FWIW I make all kinds of crap out of garden sprayers, they are cheap and make good preoilers,brake bleeders,transmission/differental fillers,engine degreasers,and I might add carpet cleaners. Vacuum,Garden sprayer full of hot h20 lysol and dawn,wet/dry vac rinse,wet dry vac.
          I will keep my eyes open for a sprayer. I don't have a garden to spray. It's either rocks or cactus and yuccas. Anything that grows here in the desert without watering. There are no stupid questions. Shortcuts and interchanges are always welcome. I can see this ain't your 1st rodeo.
          '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
          '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
          '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

so i pulled the fuel tank as im getting keys made and not to my suprise there was still 16yo gas in it. i got rid of the old fuel and was told to preasure spray it out. i did and there is still old fuel trash stuck inside the tank. any ideas how to properly clean this gubk out without risk of contaminating the new fuel and fuel system that will be going in?

Comment

I'd use a wire brush.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Go to the dollar store and get a bunch of the generic pine-sol. Dump it in full strength and let it soak for about a week. Pressure wash and rinse. That stuff works wonders on gunked up carbs, should work in tanks as well.

Comment

rocks in the fuel tank and shake.

Comment

Degreaser or cleaner like pine sol and a big wire wheel on a drill. Preferably one of those orange ones that wont scratch so bad but a regular one would do.
                    But if its suck on there now its not coming off later right? lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Last gas tank I did was for a toyota four runner at the shop I work at and I took it to the car wash and blew everything out .

Comment

Fill it completely with vinegar and let it sit for about 1 week, shaking it once or twice a day. When it looks clean drain it and flush it good with warm water. Use a heat gun to dry it. If it is really nasty you may want to replace it. I hear the replacements are inexpensive......Good luck!

Comment

Fill it completely with BS. Bury it in an ant hill for two weeks.
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The way I as taught to clean them was hot water,dishwashing soap and stick an air hose in the tank and let it bubble. That was to clean them before welding on them not because they'd been sitting forever but I still have to believe the constant agitation by the air can't do anything but help.Our carb cleaner tank also had an air bubbler so it must do something. Or maybe it just sells carb cleaning bubblers to suckers. Who knows.

Comment

Constantly looking for part and one i cannot find is the fuel sending unit. are they rebuild kit only or clean as best as possible and reuse?

Comment

Working...
                              X