Notchy shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notchy shifting

Over the past year, shifting my 5 speed 90 Festiva has become increasingly cranky. It does shift but moving the stick thru the gears isn't smooth. I'll call it notchy, a term I recall writers used to describe less than smooth shifting manual trannys. It doesn't pop out of gear. That is, otherwise it operates normally. The shift lever doesn't move up and down.

I'm wondering what the symptoms are for a worn shift mechanism. And can it be serviced or repaired from the top or do I need to get under the car. (Ouch! Getting too old for that) Thanks in advance

Charlie Z
    Semper Fi'steva

Hmm, one thing to check underneath is a bushing. There is the shift rod but there is a second rod that connects the shift area to the transmission to keep the trans the right distance away from the shifter. The bushing on that rod on the transmission end tends to get covered in oil and disintigrate. When it does that it can allow too much movement.
    Mine fell out once because the bolt came loose and shifting was difficult and i couldnt downshift at all when braking.
    Another thing to check would be your transmission fluid level if you havent in a while. The driveshaft seals leak when they get old and let the fluid drain out. Lack of fluid causes a different shifter feel.
    When your car in in gear driving how much can you wiggle the shifter back and forth?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
      Hmm, one thing to check underneath is a bushing. There is the shift rod but there is a second rod that connects the shift area to the transmission to keep the trans the right distance away from the shifter. The bushing on that rod on the transmission end tends to get covered in oil and disintigrate. When it does that it can allow too much movement.
      Mine fell out once because the bolt came loose and shifting was difficult and i couldnt downshift at all when braking.
      Another thing to check would be your transmission fluid level if you havent in a while. The driveshaft seals leak when they get old and let the fluid drain out. Lack of fluid causes a different shifter feel.
      When your car in in gear driving how much can you wiggle the shifter back and forth?

Side to side roughly measured at the shift knob, about 3.5 to 4 inches. Fore and aft about 3/4 to 1 inch.

Comment

I haven't had the pleasure of having to rebuild any festy shift linkage yet,but past expieriences have taught me that valve guides make great bushings, they are silicone bronze, several O.D.s several I.D.s cut em to length and ream them if necassary.
        Last edited by ricko1966; 09-18-2017, 07:27 PM.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
          Side to side roughly measured at the shift knob, about 3.5 to 4 inches. Fore and aft about 3/4 to 1 inch.
          3-4inches side to side when in gear??? Thats insane. There is a writeup for a fix for that here. Might take me a bit to find though.

Comment

Here.

Also see post #28 in the above thread, not just the first post.
            Last edited by ryanprins13; 09-18-2017, 07:46 PM.

Comment

ryanprins13 - Thanks for the link. I read the whole thing through. I think it answers my questions and solves the problem. I'm going find someone to do it. :-)
              Consider this thread closed until further notice.
              Thanks everyone.
              Charlie Z

Comment

CharlieZ how the heck are ya, stop back in more ofter.
                An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I've had worn bushings in the past and it just felt sloppy with worn bushings. A couple weeks ago my transmission starting feeling "notchy" with no increase in slop. I just haven't had the time to investigate.
                  Last edited by Eaglefreek; 09-18-2017, 08:47 PM.
                  Rick
                  1993 Ford Festiva
                  1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                  1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                  2000 Ford E350

Comment

I installed some Corksport bronzoil bushings in mine, for nice crisp shifts.

Comment

The shift linkage is just a "T" inside a "U" with a bolt through. Jack up car. Remove the nut, slide the bolt out, swap the bushings, slide the bolt back in, tighten nut.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                        I installed some Corksport bronzoil bushings in mine, for nice crisp shifts.
                        I know there is a part number for these somewhere but I can't remember which thread... Do you have a part number or which car they are made for? I had 1 pair a buddy gave me that he had left over from his Ford Probe but I need more.

EDIT: After a quick Google Search I found these, does that look correct?
                        Last edited by firebush357; 09-19-2017, 07:05 AM.
                        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                        sigpic
                        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Charlie if you can get the bushings I'll come swap them in for you. I'm free most weekends, and you not far from me.

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                            I know there is a part number for these somewhere but I can't remember which thread... Do you have a part number or which car they are made for? I had 1 pair a buddy gave me that he had left over from his Ford Probe but I need more.

EDIT: After a quick Google Search I found these, does that look correct?
                            Yea, those look like the right ones.
                            Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                            Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                            Feel free to PM me anytime!
                            Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                            Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Machine shops usually have a bucket full of old ones you can have a couple for free Last time I bought new ones they cost me 2.00 a piece just trying to save crafty people some money.. They also work great fpr fixing egged out alternator pivots.
                              30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
                              X