Timing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing help

92 EFI. So I'm under the understanding I should use the white mark. My pulley is very beat up but I think i have found it.

The problem is no matter how I adjust it I'm never near my mark. I'm 99% positive I'm timed right on my belt.

Anyone with any help? I have attached 2 pictures of the marks on my pulley. Disregard the blue on.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Originally posted by logan View Post
    92 EFI. So I'm under the understanding I should use the white mark. My pulley is very beat up but I think i have found it.

The problem is no matter how I adjust it I'm never near my mark. I'm 99% positive I'm timed right on my belt.

Anyone with any help? I have attached 2 pictures of the marks on my pulley. Disregard the blue on.

This should help you. IMG_1950.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Take out the number 1 spark plug. Use a breaker bar to rotate the engine while you guide a drinking straw up and down through the plug hole. When you feel number 1 park at TDC reindex your pulley. To find true TDC is more complicated and not needed the straw will be close enough.To find true TDC you would need to make a positive stop for the piston that screws in through the plug hole, rotate the engine clockwise until you rest on your stop. Mark the crank pulley. Rotate the engine counter clockwise until you rest on your stop make another mark onn your pulley 1/2 way between your two marks is TDC.
      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
        Take out the number 1 spark plug. Use a breaker bar to rotate the engine while you guide a drinking straw up and down through the plug hole. When you feel number 1 park at TDC reindex your pulley. To find true TDC is more complicated and not needed the straw will be close enough.To find true TDC you would need to make a positive stop for the piston that screws in through the plug hole, rotate the engine clockwise until you rest on your stop. Mark the crank pulley. Rotate the engine counter clockwise until you rest on your stop make another mark onn your pulley 1/2 way between your two marks is TDC.
        My issue is my pulley is keyed. Therefore can only go one way.

Comment

Originally posted by logan View Post
          My issue is my pulley is keyed. Therefore can only go one way.

Sorry the pulley in the pic did not look like a keyed pulley so I thought it was installed out of index. That being said I would still find tdc and remark my pulley.
          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

My pulley had cuts in it where the marks are supposed to be and i put bigger white marks on the 2 cuts. Could not get my timing light even close to the marks so i set timing by feel.
            Plan to mark tdc properly this winter

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just occured to me I think your car may have to be in service mode to set timing because the computer will keep trying to compensate for the changes you are making at the distributor. I don't have time to check right now but I think that may be your problem.

Comment

Are you grounding the sti connection?

Comment

The pulley should be notched on the outer lip. As for the timing belt and cam gear, it's very easy to be a tooth off with the notches and casting variations. Being a tooth off equates to 8.5* of timing... And loss of power. Concentrate on that first with the dizzy set in the middle before going after the ignition timing.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
                    Just occured to me I think your car may have to be in service mode to set timing because the computer will keep trying to compensate for the changes you are making at the distributor. I don't have time to check right now but I think that may be your problem.
                    Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                    Are you grounding the sti connection?

Yes.
                    Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    The pulley should be notched on the outer lip. As for the timing belt and cam gear, it's very easy to be a tooth off with the notches and casting variations. Being a tooth off equates to 8.5* of timing... And loss of power. Concentrate on that first with the dizzy set in the middle before going after the ignition timing.
                    I will double check but I'm 90% positive I'm good. As i had the same issue on my last one and didn't wanna have to mess with moving the belt after the engine was installed.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                      My pulley had cuts in it where the marks are supposed to be and i put bigger white marks on the 2 cuts. Could not get my timing light even close to the marks so i set timing by feel.
                      Plan to mark tdc properly this winter

Exactly my issue now.

Comment

I could never get my mark on the pulley to line up either while using a timing light and just timed it by feel.
                        Rick
                        1993 Ford Festiva
                        1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                        1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                        2000 Ford E350

Comment

The yellow notch is top dead centre. The white dot is 10 degrees off. Find the yellow notch and the white dot will be 10 degrees to one side or the other?
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                          X