Speedo and odo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo and odo

Ok so my speedometer and odometer do not work. Is that related to a sensor or is it the dash itself that is bad?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The speedometer is driven by a gear and a cable the cable runs from the transmission through the firewall and attaches to the back of the instrument cluster. Check the speedo cable and speedo drive gear first.if they are both good and attached spin the cable with a drill while cable is still attached to the instrument cluster.No speed get another cluster or have yours repaired.
    Last edited by ricko1966; 10-08-2017, 08:16 AM.
    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
      Check the speedo cable and speedo drive gear first.if they are both good and attached spin the cable with a drill while cable is still attached to the instrument cluster.
      Ok thanks I will try that

Comment

Once the cable is out of the transmission it can be pulled out of the housing and instrument panel from the transmission end. People often find it needs cleaning with solvent and lubrication with light oil. Check for kinks at that tiime. Good luck.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
          Once the cable is out of the transmission it can be pulled out of the housing and instrument panel from the transmission end. People often find it needs cleaning with solvent and lubrication with light oil. Check for kinks at that tiime. Good luck.
          How do I get it off the transmission? Is it just the bolt into the transmission?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdk2588 View Post
            How do I get it off the transmission? Is it just the bolt into the transmission?

No... don't remove the bolt. just unscrew the cable housing that holds the cable to the the gear. If it's too tight to loosen by hand, us a 19 mm open end wrench to loosen it.
            You remove the little bolt to remove the gear housing from the transmission only if you need to check and add transmission fluid for check to make sure the gear teeth are good. If you need to check or add fluid, leave the cable attached, remove the bolt and then twist it back and forth and pull up on the cable and housing to pull it out. When you put it back in twist it by hand back and forth as you push it in and make sure it it seated before you put the little bolt back in. Many people have broken the lip off the housing that the bolt goes through by trying to seat the housing by tightening the bolt.
            Always remove the cable from the transmission before trying to remove the instrument panel.
            Last edited by 1990new; 10-08-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
              No... don't remove the bolt. just unscrew the cable housing that holds the cable to the the gear. If it's too tight to loosen by hand, us a 19 mm open end wrench to loosen it.
              Your remove thelittle bolt to remove the gear housing from the transmission to check and add transmission fluid. If you need to check or add fluid, leave the cable attached, remove the bolt and then twist it and pull up on the cable and house to pull it out. When you put it back in twist it by hand back and forth as you push it in and make sure it it seated before you put the little bolt back in. Many people have broken the lip off the housing that the bolt goes through by tring to seat the housing by tightening the bolt.
              Always remove the cable from the transmission before trying to remove the instrument panel.
              Ok thank you and there shouldn't be any tranny fluid with a manual correct?

Comment

Yes you definitely need transmission fluid for the manual. Specs call for the same fluid as used in the automatic. I use the latest Dextron itteration for my automatic and manual. Some people use other types of oil and say it is better. Search this forum for those suggestions if you like.
                If you have never changed the manual trans fluid, It would not hurt to drain and refill it. It holds about 2.5 qts. Just be careful not to break the little lip off the gear housing when you put it back in and seat it. The gear housing acts like a dip stick and has a marker on it to show where the fluid should come to. There is an opening in the crossmember under the transmission for access to the drain plug.

Careful not to lose the nylon washer on the end of the cable where it inserts into the gear housing.
                Last edited by 1990new; 10-08-2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

The transmission is just a pile of gear wheels that transfer power from the engine to the axles. They spin like crazy all the time the car is in gear and running so they require a lot of lubrication. That's why transmissions of both kinds are full of oil. However, unlike the engine oil in they don't come in contact with the compression chambers where the exhaust dirt is manufactured so transmission oil doesn't generally have to be changed anywhere near as often. If the seals where the axles enter the transmission start to leak the oil in the transmission needst to be topped up. Any time the axles are removed a bunch of transmission oil pours out so it has to be topped up when the axles are replaced.

To remove the speedometer cable you might have to jack up the car and unscrew the retaining cable housing from below. Once the cable is out of the transmission you have to go in from above and work it up into the engine bay in order to pull the cable out of the instrument panel and housing. When I tested mine I put a large mirror on the driver's seat so I could see the instrument panel from the engine bay.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                  X