Clutch removal problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch removal problems.

I'm following the manual step by step but I'm stumped. I need to remove the "longitudinal crossmember." I

If you want to follow along with me in the manual I'm on step 14 on page 7A-5 in the manual. I've removed all the bolts but the bracket will not drop. It seems to be connected where the transaxle and engine meet in the back where the shift rod and stabilizer rods were bolted in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1992 Ford Festiva 1.3 L 4-cylinder

So you removed the bolts holding the crossmember to the car, but did you remove the transmission mount bolt/bolts?
    There is a mount between the crossmember and transmission on the front and back of the trans

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw the bolts in the front, but there are no trans mount bolts in the back like pictures in the manual. I'll run out there and there and take a photo. Thank you for your help.
      Last edited by Timothy; 10-22-2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Comment

Now that I am looking at the second photo perhaps the two bolts behind the shift rod bushing is what I need to take out.

Comment

There is a bolt through this hole to remove the mount from the crossmember. It gets filled with grease...

If you remove these 2 bolts the mount comes off the transmission.

Comment

So they all need to come out? Cool. Thanks again for your help. I'm looking forward to getting outside to work on my car tomorrow morning. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Just one or the other depending on where you want the mount to end up. If i remember correctly it easier to leave the mount on the crossmember by removing the 2 easily visible bolts

Comment

My man! Thanks again for the help. Can't wait to get out there tomorrow and finish up this job.

Comment

Yeah, go in from the bottom, and remove that one nut. Then the 2 at the front mount. Support the trans by the case and slip the crossmember out then slowly lower the trans untill the crank pulley is resting against the frame. The left outer CV should be loose from the knuckle already. Pop the right inner CV out of the diff, then remove the trans, or if you're lazy like me, just push it out of the way enough to swap out the pressure plate and clutch disk. Then slam it all back together and you're good.
                    Last edited by FestYboy; 10-22-2017, 09:52 PM.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ok. Crossmember is removed as well as flywheel support bolts and engine to transaxle bolts.

But now I can't get that sucker out. The transaxle is stuck. I've maybe pulled it out about 1mm. I know I'm forgetting something simple. What should I do?
                      Last edited by Timothy; 10-23-2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

There's the dust plate... Held in with 3? 10mm bolts. How's the engine being supported? Like I mentioned?
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

1 of those 10mm bolts will hold the entire thing together..... I spent 20 minutes trying to pry one apart just to find out I missed 1 10mm bolt!
                          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                          sigpic
                          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            There's the dust plate... Held in with 3? 10mm bolts. How's the engine being supported? Like I mentioned?
                            Engine is being supported by a jack with a 2x4 on it.

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                              1 of those 10mm bolts will hold the entire thing together..... I spent 20 minutes trying to pry one apart just to find out I missed 1 10mm bolt!
                              Ok. Going out to the car now to remove all of those. Why isn't that detail mentioned in the manual. That's kind of frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                              X