Sometimes solutions really are imple / PCV vibrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes solutions really are imple / PCV vibrating

The last few week I had noticed the the idle RPM was fluctuation between 800 and 1000 once the engine got to normal running temperature in Rosie.
    So I read all about this to learn about all the things that could be causing this... like a vacuum leak, IAC, plugs or wires, timing problems and bad pvc valve among other things.
    The plugs and wires were only about 20 months old so I knew that was not likely the problem.
    I had pulled the pcv and checked it and it it appeared to be fine and I could shake it and the little ball would rattle. The valve was also a new one that I put in with the new engine about 20 months ago.
    So I buy a vacuum gauge and put it on the manifold to see what it would tell me. I start Rosie up and the vacuum goes up to about 20 and stays pretty much there with only minor variation at idle and drops at acceleration as usual.
    As I'm looking closely and listening around the vacuum hoses over on the right side I hear this very fast rattle noise. Turned out it was the little ball in the PCV valve vibrating open and closing rapidly.
    I pulled the valve out, sprayed in some carb cleaner, shook it up, wiped it off and then put it back in.
    Miraculously the rattle stopped and the idle settled down and stayed at 800.

So yes, I can definitely confirm that that little PCV valve can cause some odd problems.
    Last edited by 1990new; 11-02-2017, 04:57 PM.

Excellent write up. Thank you for the tip!
    A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
    Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Time for you to open your own automotive repair shop.
      Engine sound meister.
      Ask Mr. Ho-Ho to bring you an engine stethoscope for Christmas.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 11-03-2017, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X