Cant get oil pan off b3 with auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant get oil pan off b3 with auto

Please tell me I don't have to remove the automatic transmission to take the oil pan off...

The pan wont come down enough to get over the studs nearest the transmission because it gets stopped by the spacer plate.

Should I remove the studs somehow??

I must be missing something, there is no way changing the pan should involve separating the trans.
    Last edited by Eviljimchicken; 11-05-2017, 02:35 PM.
    Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
    Something new breaks every day

Just got off the phone with 1990new. Looks like the spacer plate separates into two pieces which will allow me to lower the pan from the studs and get it off.

We'll see how far I get...
    Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
    Something new breaks every day

Comment

Talked to Theo on the phone but though I'd post the info here for everyone to see.

The plate that separates the engine from the transmission is in two pieces. You have to remove the engine to transmission support bracket bolts that go in the transmission before you can remove the bottom part of the flywheel cover. It may also help to loosen the bolts just a little that go in the side of the engine block so the bracket will move a little. The studs that stay in the rear main seal aluminum retainer when you take the nuts off at the back will require you to drop the pan straight down at the back before you can move it toward the crank pulley side of the engine. Sometimes the studs will come out instead of the nut coming off which makes it easier. Be very careful not to tighten the bottom pan bolts too tight when you put it back on. You can always tighten them a little more later but if you get them too tight and crush the gasket, you will have to replace the gasket. Also only put the sealer where they say in the manual and don't overdo it.
      Last edited by 1990new; 11-05-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X