Battery Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Issues

Hey all! Got an 89 Festiva. Wife drove it to school yesterday and left the lights on. No problem it happens- I go to give her a jump start but some guy from her schools campus police offers to use his battery pack to jump it instead of my car. Anyways, he connects the wrong terminals (I think) and car starts smoking. Quickly takes them off and leaves. I try to jump it, nothing. Tonight I went out and replaced battery, still nothing. What am I missing?

I get no radio, lights, nothing. Thanks in advance for the help!

Fuseable link. The one in the middle. Likely needs replacement. When you buy new ones they look like this. Its terminals with a wire between stock.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Replacing the middle fuse should make things better.
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Thank you guys for this! I got a little busy with work/kids last night, so heading out in a bit to track down this fuse and get it replaced. I can't tell from the pic exactly where this is at - any tips to make sure I can find it in the partial dark up here in North Dakota? Lol! Just wanna get all the info I can before I go stumbling around in the dark looking for it.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Hi MalcomJason,
          You will find the original fusible links on the drivers strut tower in the engine bay. It most likely will have the wire loops in that area. The picture shown is a common upgrade that is done to eliminate the fusible links. The fuses are readily available at your neighborhood parts store, where the fusible links are normally not. I suggest you stop by on your way and pick up what you see in the above photo to replace your factory equipment with. If I recall correctly you should use a 50A in the center an a 20A on each side and I believe that they are the PAL type fuses............

Comment

25 amp in the centre and 15's on each side is oem. Thats all the power the festiva ever needs.
            However the alternator will put out 50 amps, so if your boosting someone else the 25 will blow. Also the new ones blow quicker so normal is 30 in the middle and 20's on the sides.
            I have large power draws so i used a 50 amp but the downside is if someone hooks his battery pack up to your car backwards the odds of electronics or wiring frying before the fuseable link are much higher.
            Fuseable link block is circled.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X