Electrical issues... a continuing saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical issues... a continuing saga

When I put the B6T car on the road I knew the alternator was "iffy" at best. I had also experienced some starter issues. So I installed a rebuilt alternator only to discover the battery was toast. Replaced that as well as the starter (one off the low mileage Festiva at PnP) along with the engine wiring harness which was modified as required for my install. Every thing seems to work well now but I have one, hopefully small issue... alternator light comes on at about 4200rpm! Any ideas?

Tomorrow I'm going to contact the alternator supplier, a local company with an excellent reputation, to get their thoughts.

Will keep you posted.

Ian
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Belt slipping at higher speeds?
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Had one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments. With all the changing of stuff I didn't change the belt. Just got back from the store with a new one and will get it installed this afternoon. Once that's done I'll report back with results.

Ian
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

More adventures and finally, I hope, a solution...

Installed the new belt yesterday, went for a drive and the car died!!!! Managed to pull into a side street, checked under the hood and the belt was gone :gritteeth: . I wasn't too far from home so I walked back, picked up a couple of tools and the old belt and returned with one of the boys to retrieve the car. Made it home just before the car died again.

I was able to confirm my suspicions that the pulley the supplier had installed was not the correct one, it had a tighter 'V' and was starting to chew up the belts which in turn was causing them to slip a lot! Went back to the supplier this morning and switched the pulley from my old alternator, which I returned as a core. Put everything back together this afternoon and it now appears to be working as it should. Had to boost it initially to start but after a quick test drive the car started back up with no problems!

Keeping fingers crossed that this issue is now resolved.

Cheers

Ian
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Finally a solution...

Problem has been solved. What's the lesson in all this.... make sure you have the correct pulley on your alternator to avoid chewing up belts and major slippage.

Cheers

Ian
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Oooo nice catch, Ian! Happy to hear you've got it all sorted out. Nothing worse than seeing the battery light come on and the temperature gauge start to climb... even in the winter.
            1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Working...
            X