Strut differences? Aspire Vs Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strut differences? Aspire Vs Festiva

I'm wondering what the difference is? I'm installing an aspire suspension on my festiva, and both strut to trailing arm bolts are broke off in the strut bushings. I'm wondering if I can go get the struts from the donor aspire and use them on the festiva?
    92 Festiva L with AC 5 Speed, 244,000mi and counting!
    R.I.P. Zeus, aka 77 F150 Custom Explorer 300 I6
    Go Green! Go White!

They are basically the same. Aspire rear struts have a higher-up spring perch. I think all you can find new are the Festiva ones though, like on Rock Auto. There used to be two separate KYB part #s, but they have been merged into the Festiva one.

Fronts will be no problem.
    Last edited by TominMO; 11-30-2017, 02:59 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I found Aspire struts on eBay. They were $75 for a pair of Monroes. I can't remember if that included shipping as I purchased them nearly three years ago. They have been on both my '93 with Aspire beam and the '91 with the Festiva beam. Like Tom mentioned, the spring perches are higher up on the strut body which will allow for a larger tire.
      Last edited by Rick the Quick; 11-30-2017, 05:27 PM.
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I would buy new kia rio front struts and top hats. And buy new festiva rear struts

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
          I would buy new kia rio front struts and top hats. And buy new festiva rear struts
          Yeah, I should have mentioned that I have the 2001 - 02 Rio fronts on my Festiva.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Alright I went with new replacement festiva struts for the rear, are the rio struts a direct bolt in? what's the difference?
            92 Festiva L with AC 5 Speed, 244,000mi and counting!
            R.I.P. Zeus, aka 77 F150 Custom Explorer 300 I6
            Go Green! Go White!

Comment

I tried the 2001(?) bolt-compatible Rio struts from the junk yard on my Festiva and found them stiff and they raised the front end higher. I belive some people cut off a bit of the spring to lower them. (It's all here somewhere in past threads.) Others just take the tops off and put them on Festiva struts because the Rio tops have ball bearings which reduces the amount of effort needed to turn the steering wheel. I still have the Rio struts if anyone wants to come to Ottawa and take them for the tops.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                I tried the 2001(?) bolt-compatible Rio struts from the junk yard on my Festiva and found them stiff and they raised the front end higher. I belive some people cut off a bit of the spring to lower them. (It's all here somewhere in past threads.) Others just take the tops off and put them on Festiva struts because the Rio tops have ball bearings which reduces the amount of effort needed to turn the steering wheel. I still have the Rio struts if anyone wants to come to Ottawa and take them for the tops.
                The springs are much stiffer, like 170# I think. You need to use Festiva or Aspire front springs with the Rio struts, to get a reasonable spring rate. I think Aspire front springs are a slightly heavier rate than Festiva, but not 100% sure. But Aspire and Festiva rear springs are the same rate (80#).
                Last edited by TominMO; 12-01-2017, 08:33 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                X