Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling System Issue.

hi all,

New to the group. I have a 93 Festiva I just picked up last week. Radiator had a hole in it so I replaced that today. Did not do thermostat. Pretty sure core is clogged only one hose gets hot. Haven’t tried to flush it out yet. Filled radiator useing a radiator funnel. Gauge fluctuated 50-75% during this process.System seemed to burp well or so I thoght. Soon as I turned off car the reservoir overflowed quite a bit. Let it cool topped back off and all seemed fine. Test drove the car and temp stayed right in the middle car feels strong. Drove threw my nehborhood slowly (about 5 minutes 5-10 mph no stop signs) pulled into my driveway temp gauge now up to 75%. Shut the car off and it sounded as the coolant was boiling. Could heat a slight hiss at radiator cap and bubbles in res. I’ve herd this could be head gasket? Could it be anything else? And yes cooling fan is working. Thanks!
    Last edited by User93; 12-21-2017, 11:13 PM.

Change your thermostat first before condemning the head gasket. Check your oil dipstick for coolant sludge. Check your radiator for signs of oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

It's also possible that the water pump vanes have loosened on the shaft and are no longer spinning at 1:1 causing the flow to drop dramatically.

Perform the suggestions from Dale above first, and please read all warnings about t-stat install procedure. T-stat housings are getting harder to come by and they are easily damaged.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Okay thanks guys I’ll check this stuff out and see what it does.

Comment

Working...
        X