What Engins will fit a 92 Festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Engins will fit a 92 Festiva?

I just picked up a 92 Festiva and I think the engine is toast with 189K miles.

I have access to a 4 cylinder Frod Probe will that engine and tranny fit in the Festiva?

Thank you Jack

Not sure. But I will follow this thread. I'm at 293,958 and might look to replace engine. Mine is still running strong however better safe than sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Texasjack View Post
      I just picked up a 92 Festiva and I think the engine is toast with 189K miles.

I have access to a 4 cylinder Frod Probe will that engine and tranny fit in the Festiva?

Thank you Jack
      With enough time and effort, anything can fit, but the probe F engine is rather difficult due to length. The associated trans is rather large too. It has been done though.

Do a wiki search on Mazda b series engines... Much easier to start there.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
        There are a few engine swaps that would be way easier than the probe and their cheap to get, bolt to factory trans...
        But first whats wrong with the original motor? Their easy to fix and last a long time. 190k isnt much

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by ryanprins13; 01-07-2018, 12:51 AM.

Comment

When I posted I had not been able to start it but the previous owner said it was bad.
          I had to take the lock cylinder apart and I inserted a small screwdriver in the switch an it started instantly!!!!!!
          The engine sounds like it valves need to be adjusted.
          In the morning I will pull the oil pan as it is leaking bad.
          What I need to find out is how to remove the old lock cylinder.

Thank you Jack

Comment

Nice. Try searching this forum on ignition switch. There has been a lot of info posted. My favourite is to spray WD-40 into the key hole and work it in with the key. Good luck.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

When I replaced my lock cylinder I had to remove 2 screws with no heads. I had to cut slots in them and back them out. All in all not to hard. I replaced the whole thing
              93 Festiva L White B6T
              99 Dodge Ram STL Green Cummins. AKA the Jolly Green Giant
              89 Festiva Blue
              91 Green “Mad Maxine” Festiva B6T
              93 Festiva GL Black BP automatic
              93 Festiva GL Green stock

Comment

Originally posted by Texasjack View Post
                When I posted I had not been able to start it but the previous owner said it was bad.
                I had to take the lock cylinder apart and I inserted a small screwdriver in the switch an it started instantly!!!!!!
                The engine sounds like it valves need to be adjusted.
                In the morning I will pull the oil pan as it is leaking bad.
                What I need to find out is how to remove the old lock cylinder.

Thank you Jack
                The 1992 has hydraulic adjusted valve lash. If its been sitting a while then it may just need some miles on it for that noise to go away. If it doesn't then its fairly easy to take the valve cover off and clean the HLA's.
                How did changing the oil pan gasket go? It can be a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Adsmith View Post
                  Not sure. But I will follow this thread. I'm at 293,958 and might look to replace engine. Mine is still running strong however better safe than sorry
                  If its running strong just keep maintaining it. There are a couple guys with over a million miles and several over a million kilometers. The b3 lasts a long time if you change the oil on time, change your coolant every few years and dont let your spark plugs get so old that they fall apart inside the cylinders. Im just behind you at 291k miles and if i hadn't left my spark plugs in so long that one time the engine would still be in top shape.

Comment

If it ticks run thicker oil. If it still ticks run 5w20. If you do it backwards it works too. Don't know why lol it probably just cleans. One other thing if you're going to drop the oil pan anyway first try 4oz of BRAKE FLUID in your crankcase. It addresses rubber seal issues quite often. I was a believer after I tried this on my b2200 truck which is f motor: all the same tech designs.
                    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

How'd the pan gasket change go? My 93 is still leaking like crazy after and I can't figure out why. Also what was the price and condition on that probe engine? Got a 93 probe rotting in my yard due to blown head.

Comment

Working...
                      X