Pics of Your Block-Off Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of Your Block-Off Techniques

I have read up on block-offs used to block wind from the front of the car in the winter so that the engine will heat up. For some reason, I can't figure out where most folks, "slide in a piece of cardboard."

I'm needing a temporary fix for the heater until I can get around to purchasing the right thermostat, seeing that none of the Ford dealerships around here have it, and the closest Mazda dealership is an hour away.

Thanks in advance, Chandler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cardboard goes in front of the radiator. I used to use 2 pieces, cut so they would slide through the top of the grille. The one would stay put and i would slide the second one so a bit of the rad was exposed when temps got above freezing.

Now i have a piece of metal cut to fit and spaced about an inch ahead of the radiator so that if the fan turn on because it gets too warm air can still circulate. Cardboard tends to suck up against the rad and prevent airflow when the fan is on.
    Near the drivers side is a small section that is hinged at the bottom. When it gets above freezing i stick my hand through the grille and open it a little.

This wont help a lot if your thermostat is malfunctioning. Any working single stage thermostat is better than a non working one. I like felpro thermostat gaskets. Make sure to bleed all the air out properly after changing it.
    How cold is it where you are?

I just have a single stage thermostat and it keeps the temp gauge where it is in this photo down to about -25c. I also insulate my heater hoses.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I put some cardboard in front of the radiator by sliding it down between the rad and support. I put a hole in the middle and only cover about 75% of the radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly5984 View Post
        I'm needing a temporary fix for the heater until I can get around to purchasing the right thermostat, seeing that none of the Ford dealerships around here have it, and the closest Mazda dealership is an hour away.
        You can get the proper 2 stage thermostat from O'Reillys for $8.99

Part Number 41492
        Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
        Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
        Feel free to PM me anytime!
        Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
        Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

I appreciate all the responses.

It's supposed to get into the high single digits here Tuesday with snow. My temp gauge usually never gets above the second line on the gage. When it gets into the 50s, it warms a little better.

I didn't know O'Reillys had the right thermostats. Everything I have read pointed towards getting one for a Miata so it'd operate as it should.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly5984 View Post
            I appreciate all the responses.

It's supposed to get into the high single digits here Tuesday with snow. My temp gauge usually never gets above the second line on the gage.
            Make sure your fan switch is also plugged in, in case your fan runs constantly when the car is on.
            Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
            Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
            Feel free to PM me anytime!
            Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
            Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Working...
            X