Clear All

• 93 Manual Dying in neutral/rough idle

Just had a lot of work done to the car
    Timing belt
    Water pump
    Valve cover gasket
    muffler/catalytic converter replacement
    02 Sensors changed

The car will normally die when I arrive at a stop sign or light, then I have to start it up and start over. Mechanic recommended spark plugs and wires, rotor cap and button, and tune-up.

Any opinions here?

This could be alot of different stuff. A vacuum leak can cause rough idle. Check for any vacuum lines that were disconnected when working on the car. Any car that has a throttle cable will have an Idle Air Control Valve. It might be causing the problem.

Comment

Does the CEL come on?
      Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
      Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
      Feel free to PM me anytime!
      Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
      Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

When the car is shut off yes the CEL will come on but has always done this. For example I will shut the car off myself, and the CEL will come on, only when the battery is on but not while the car is running.

Comment

Spray some Starting Fluid around and behind the Throttle Body while the car is running to see if it revs up. To change the Valve cover you have to take the throttle body off and I don't see that you changed the throttle body gasket in that list.

Is the mechanic that suggested the extra work the same mechanic that changed all of that stuff?

Checking the Compression Numbers if you do not find a Vacuum leak will give you clue as to if he put the timing belt on correctly. You can get a car to run 1 tooth by playing with the distributor but it doesn't run well.
          Last edited by firebush357; 01-16-2018, 04:01 PM.
          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Maybe the VAF plug is coming loose and loosing connection when you stop? I had that problem with my 93 one time. I had to zip tie it together because the connector was broken. Couldn't hurt to look.
            93 Festiva L White B6T
            99 Dodge Ram STL Green Cummins. AKA the Jolly Green Giant
            89 Festiva Blue
            91 Green “Mad Maxine” Festiva B6T
            93 Festiva GL Black BP automatic
            93 Festiva GL Green stock

Comment

Originally posted by Lives View Post
              When the car is shut off yes the CEL will come on but has always done this. For example I will shut the car off myself, and the CEL will come on, only when the battery is on but not while the car is running.
              In that case, there should be a stored code you can check.
              Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
              Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
              Feel free to PM me anytime!
              Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
              Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

I ground off the edge of the TB to where I could get the VC off without removing it. It didn't take that much and didn't hurt anything.

Comment

Was this happening before all that work or only after?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

After

Comment

Determine the last CEL code and then clear all codes.

Comment

Diagnosed today as throttle body issue.

Comment

You know I have this same exact problem your talking about on my 93 festiva, it's gets really bad idle and for say one day it will start and I'll drive it for a while and then when I turn off the car and turn it back on it gets rough idle and it dies in neutral and it won't start for days and once my whole battery died

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                            Was this happening before all that work or only after?
                            Originally posted by Lives View Post
                            After
                            Other things to check:
                            1. make sure the valve timing is spot on, not off a tooth, since the timing belt was just changed.
                            2. possibly needs new plugs, plug wires, cap/rotor.
                            3. possibly needs ignition properly timed.

Did you have that tune-up work done that he recommended? Starting with new cap, rotor, wires and plugs are a good idea in general.
                            Last edited by TominMO; 09-26-2018, 08:04 AM.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                            X