SPEEDO CABLE.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPEEDO CABLE.........

My latest speedo cable is now making the dreaded ticking, rubbing sound. I changed it before but I forget how I did it. Anyone have any tips on making this job easy?

Originally posted by denguy View Post
    My latest speedo cable is now making the dreaded ticking, rubbing sound. I changed it before but I forget how I did it. Anyone have any tips on making this job easy?
    Try just cleaning it out before you replace it. They can be lubed
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

You remove the cable by unscrewing it from the gear its attached to from off the top of the tranny. If you need a new cable, Jim Davis has some.
      Last edited by milehighbear; 01-23-2018, 07:32 PM.
      Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
      93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Once the cable is disconnected from the transmission I push the end up into the engine bay before pulling the cable out of the housing. That makes it easier for me. You can put the end of the cable in an electric drill for testing. Go easy until you see which way the drill needs to turn.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

As Will said, it probably just needs to be cleaned.
          Disconnect it at the tranny end, pull the cable out of the sheath, clean it real good with something like WD40, then slide it back in. You can put graphite or something on it but I often just leave them with a thin coat of WD. You'll have to repeat every few years.

If you ignore it too long the cable will break.
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Thanks guys, I will pull the cable out of the housing and inspect it. I do have some spray graphite if that's all it needs.........my baby just rolled over 207k. Still getting an average of 43 mpg like clockwork.

Comment

Working...
            X