No announcement yet.

Hoses to 89 carb???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had one. Last gasp of the carb age. Had to be designed by a madman.

Comment

Thanks, Brave. Yours is from 2004, mine from 2017. I don't have NO tested after 2012 so will give NO from that year's test. I don't have a scanner so will type in the numbers. My car has 134,722.0 km as of Friday when I put in gas. Mine has the original catalytic converter, still good after 29 yrs of Ottawa winters (spent mostly parked in the garage).

(FordFestiva.com removes spaces. Sorry about that.)

Limit Brave Wm
      HCppm
      fast idle 109 184 31
      reg. idle 200 218 33

CO%
      fast idle 0.61 1.42 0.01
      reg. idle 1.00 0.44 0.01

NOppm 1292 2781 121

Last checked the compression 15 Aug 2016

Dry Wet
      #1 190 200
      #2 190 207
      #3 190 205
      #4 197 210
      Last edited by WmWatt; 02-18-2018, 08:39 AM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Here's a pic of the hoses underneath the stock carby intake manifold.

Last edited by bravekozak; 02-25-2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

UPDATE: Well I got all the hoses hooked up - there were a zillion that had been unpluged/disconnected. Also got the new fuel pump in with the spacer/insulator.

Poured some gas into the carb to get it running so the fuel pump could prime the fuel lines/fuel filter/carb.

Newest problem is the engine will run until the "poured in gas" runs out. Fuel filter (which is clear) does get fuel to it - full when he engine is running, 1/2 fuel when the engine stops. Some plug smoke from exhaust but mainly dark/rich exhaust fumes (nearly killed wife and I with that event....).

I'm thinking of putting a small electric fuel pump in-line to act as a "booster pump", although I'm thinking the carb may need to be totally cleaned (which I'm not looking forward to at all).

Anybody have any ideas?

Comment

Flip the rear seat forward and remove the fuel tank sender. Replace the sock on the pickup tube.
            Use a flashlight to check if the tank needs to be drained or not.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 02-26-2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Done that! Got rid of all the old gas and cleaned the tank. The sock looks brand new. I also blew out the main fuel feed line to the carb.

As I mentioned, fuel does flow from the tank to the fuel filter and it looks clean.....

Comment

There is a glass window on the passsenger side of the carb to show the level of fuel in the float chamber. Supposed to mean something.
                Assume you spreayed the carb and linkages with carburettor cleaner?
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I would see if the accelerator pump squirts after the engine has died, It does than you know there is fuel in the bowl, It doesn't than you possibly aren't getting fuel past the needle and seat, sometimes they stick if a car is parked too long ,sometimes tapping lightly with the end of a wrench or small hammer is all it takes to un stick them. Another thing to try is pinch the return line shut temporarily with vice grips to up the fuel pressure. I have done the following before also pinch the return line with vice grips the carb line with vice grips pour in your prime fuel if you can get to it with a dishsoap bottle full of gas fill the float bowl through the vent tube. Okay now start it,rev it keep blipping the throttle until it starts to die then release just the vice grips on the carb supply line sometimes the built up pressure that way works.
                  30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
                  X