my steering wheel shakes, sometimes it's bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my steering wheel shakes, sometimes it's bad

i'm sure everyone has had there steering wheel shake side to side while going down the road some time or another, i want to try and get rid of this because it's been like this for a while, the ball joints and tie rods are all fairly new.
    if anyone who has had this problem and fixed it by say replacing bushings or something like that, any suggestions on how to make it a smoother ride would helpful

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

check tire pressure or get new tires, it helped out alot for me, just adding air to the tires that were a little low

Comment

95% of the time it's just tires that are out of balance. Festiva's are even more touchy than most cars. I've had to take mine back to the tire place more than once because they didn't get them balance properly the first time.

Comment

Chris , if I remember your tires were looking a little thin
        I have had tires do that ,and when I did not get the rim centered just right , no ecentric rings
        ------------------------------------------------
        The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
        Smart Passion white with H-D interior
        HD2500 Duramax Chevy
        Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
        Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
        Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
        Z28 LS1 power 500 +
        90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
        It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

wheelbearings, loose wheel bolts, out of balance tire, broken cord in tire, etc..
          69 Shelby GT-350, 351W, 4 spd
          97 Jag xk8 vert
          06 Mini Cooper S GP
          93 Stiva
          04 Volvo S80

Comment

this weekend i'm going to be putting the orginal the orginal tires back on, but i'll balance them first see how that does, but if i remember right the last time i had them on the wheel still shook pretty good, i know my drivers side axle starting to go, could this cause the steering wheel to shake as well? also will weak bushings add to it as well?

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

i finally got to putting my stock wheels on this weekend after balancing them, and you guys were right, it was the tires, there is still some small vibrations, but i think that's either my axle, or wheel bearings (i can hear the wheel bearings humming, but they didn't seem that bad) thanks for the input

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid
                ... or wheel bearings (i can hear the wheel bearings humming, but they didn't seem that bad) thanks for the input
                If it's really the bearings you hear humming, they are bad!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave G
                  Originally posted by Damkid
                  ... or wheel bearings (i can hear the wheel bearings humming, but they didn't seem that bad) thanks for the input
                  If it's really the bearings you hear humming, they are bad!
                  well shortly i'll be doing a complete brake job anyway (probably get all aspire brakes) so i'll just replace them while it's all apart, whether or not they are bad

Comment

if the tires sat with weight on them they may have flat spotted, that is how my front ties are but it is slowly going away

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2304767

Comment

the tires have been sitting for about 2 years or more, but most of the time have been on there side stacked on top of each other, so i don't think thats it

Comment

Working...
                      X