Blue smoke! Most likely cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue smoke! Most likely cause?

Well title says it all, Valve stem seals or rings? smokes a ton if i stay on the gas, even more when i let off the accelerator.
    92 Festiva L with AC 5 Speed, 244,000mi and counting!
    R.I.P. Zeus, aka 77 F150 Custom Explorer 300 I6
    Go Green! Go White!

Time for a compression test. Most probably rings
    Last edited by bravekozak; 02-05-2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Compression is relatively low, Wishful thinking on a quick fix. Guess it's time to work on rebuilding my spare B3.
      Go Green! Go White!

Comment

Smoking is just what the B3s do haha.
        I personally wouldn't worry about a rebuild
        Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
        Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
        Feel free to PM me anytime!
        Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
        Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Low dry compression and higher wet compression indicates worn rings? The oil seals the gap a bit. Running with heavier oil or one of those older car oil additives could help reduce smoke from worn rings.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Compression and leak down test will tell you. But more likely worn rings. How much oil does it use? I had one with bad valve stem seals and it would shoot liquid oil out the tailpipe at startup.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I'm in one of the few counties in TN they emission test, so I could get pulled over for excessive pollution if I'm not careful.
              Go Green! Go White!

Comment

Well if a diesel vw can pass....

Comment

Valve stem seals maybe ??

Comment

Check out the "sticky" thread at the top of this forum on how to use a vaccum guage to diagnose engine problems for tips on diagnosing valve leakage.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Make sure your oil pan is not overfilled.
                      Last year my friend Sam had his oil changed at one of the speedy oil change places and they apparently forgot to drain the oil before putting in the new.
                      He called me about his Fesitva pouring out blue smoke and when he came over I drained almost 8 quarts of oil out of his engine. The blue smoke stopped shortly after the new oil was put in.
                      That was over 6 months ago so apparently no permanent damage was done.
                      Last edited by 1990new; 02-11-2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Yes, at maybe 1/8in over the full line on the dipstick on level ground the crankshaft is hitting the oil and foaming it up and throwing it everywhere. Start to get much more than that (like 8L, lol) and the oil rings and pcv system wont be able to handle it.

Comment

Working...
                        X