Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the valve/doohickey just behind the choke on my 88 carby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the valve/doohickey just behind the choke on my 88 carby?

Hello,
    Just wondering what the valve behind the choke on my 88 carby is? It has two vacuum lines coming off of it....one goes to one of the solenoids and not sure where the other goes.. I believe the choke pull off is in front, then the choke thermostat and then this doohickey? I found an air leak at the stem of the post....cracked and was wondering it would be easy to replace with a new one.? I am including a photo....it is the black ufo behind the brass ufo......thanks!IMG_20171129_134121.jpg

Are you sure it doesn't have three lines?In that pic it looks like an egr amplifier but it should have three lines. What solenoid is it connected to? That should answer your question.
    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Can't find a photo in the Haynes manual which shows it. However look for same colour dashed line to see where hoses go. As for the three solenoids, nothing in the Haynes manual but I've seen a description of them on here. Maybe a search would show. Whatever the solenoids are they reduce emissions and should not be critical to engine performance.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It is connected with the orange dash hose to the second from the left solenoid or the number two solenoid.

Comment

It is one that has a small bar that must be inserted into one of holes of the throttle linkage to operate....just changed out carbs, so i remember doing that. I believe it must control something to do with the idle.....if that helps. But of course i could be wrong....thats why i am asking. lol

Comment

I went out and looked at mine today. Better view from diriver's side. It has both orange and tan dash lines, one to each of orange and tan solenoids on firewall. As far as what those solendoids do, I'm totally ignorant.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yep I looked at your pic wrong and too quick didn't realize it was turned side ways. Yes that is an idle compensator. and connects to the middle solenoid on the firewall
              30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
              X