Cracked Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked Block

So after some debating and head scratching, I believe i have fixed the mysterious(but not unheard of) crack on the front side of the engine block in my 'Fesplicity'.

I have an engine I could swap but the original runs great, don't smoke, etc. So I wasn't about to give up on it.

My initial repair (JB Weld) held around 2 weeks then cracked. (I had drilled 1/8" holes at the end of the crack, 'V-ed' out the crack with a die grinder, pulled vacuum on the block and applied the JB, and let it sit for 24 hours under vacuum. Well it still didn't hold, so on to 'plan B'.

Plan B was nickel rod and my Lincoln 225 AC buzzbox. I figured the worse thing is I would STILL have to do an engine swap if things went wrong so I ventured on. I did the 'no preheat' method explained in this video;

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

So after completely removing the JB from the 1st attempt I fired up the welder and had at it. After welding there were still some small 'seepers'. So I reasoned the failure of the JB was caused by attempting to use the JB as an actual structural repair on something which moved with heat and cooling. I knew JB would plug/repair leaks on a stable surface with not much problem.

Soooo I again pulled vacuum, douched the weld areas with brake clean, applied JB and let set for 24 hours.

So far (3 weeks) and the coolant level is staying put and there is no evidence of leaks.

IF something changes I will update, but so far I'm satisfied.

Awesome!
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Keeping the cars now Russ?
      -Donny
      -1992 Festiva GL
      B6D/E-series.
      -1991 GL
      BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Originally posted by xaero_81 View Post
        Keeping the cars now Russ?
        Looks that way (for the moment anyway). I've added yet another pickup truck to the backyard since getting THE letter from the township. So far I haven't heard any more from them. Could possibly be them sending everyone in 'violation' to not show favoritism to get a couple of REALLY bad places to clean up their property. I dunno.

I figure if'n they send me another notice I'll simply rebute that with having to be within sight of 4 frickin' pot dispensaries going into my end of town.

THAT'S a whole 'nuther subject.

Comment

Working...
        X