CLUNK..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLUNK..........

Whenever I hit a slight bump in the road I hear a light clunk from somewhere in the front end. Anyone have an idea about this?

First thing would be to check all the suspension connection points in front: Struts, LCAS and Sway bar. Must be something badly worn or loose.

Comment

I have a light clunk noise also. Have had it a very long time. Has never gone away or gotten worse. Just one of the things I live with. Think it is the spring moving around in the perch. Everything is in good shape.

Comment

Usual method of tracking it down is to get under the car with a pry bar or large screwdriver or tire iron and wedge it between things and see if you can get them to move. If you have time to watch Youtube videos a search on diagnosing front end noise you can see other tricks like jumping up and down on the bumper or rocking the car back and forth using the gears, clutch, and brakes. I had a tricky one, loose brake rotor bolts after I replace the rotors. Another is the pinch bolt on the control arm (ball joints). If it gets loose there is a clunk when you go over bumps. Good luck.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Check what everyone else said. I had a clunk i couldnt figure out for a while. Checked all the suspension stuff a couple times. Turned out the bracket on my catch can broke and it would clunk at starts stops... lol

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
            I have a light clunk noise also. Have had it a very long time. Has never gone away or gotten worse. Just one of the things I live with. Think it is the spring moving around in the perch. Everything is in good shape.
            My stock front springs are cut one coil and I get that too. Didn't have the clunk before cutting them. Gonna go to coilovers this summer anyway.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I had a clunk over bumps, it turned out to be the subframe member holding the engine in fell off on the front. The engine was pushing down via the subframe bracket onto the sway arm. The whole front felt loose though :-)

Comment

Check Steering Rack on the passenger side.
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Raise car and turn wheels by grabbing them and suddenly applying force.

I found that he bottom bracket on my coilovers had a tiny bit of play which made that clunk every time I began to turn the wheels while stationary
                  1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Top strut nut.
                    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Working...
                    X