Headlights and dash lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlights and dash lights

I recently changed my wiring harness with one I found at a scrap yard (my battery would go dead becuase it wasn’t getting a charge) and I had a new battery and alternator. But after changing my wiring harness I noticed that my headlights and the backlit part of my dash won’t tirn on. It’s essentially turned off anything to do with the little stick control thing to the left of the wheel. All my other dash lights work,( like check engine, seatbelt light, etc) I tried looking at the forum and didn’t see anything that would help me so if anyone reading this has any ideas/ questions or want to see pictures just let me know

Check the fuse first, after that I would pull the plastic off the steering column and make sure you connected all the wires. easy to miss one or 2 when doing a whole wiring harness. If they are connected use a voltmeter to check for power coming to the switch. If there is none follow the wires and work your way back. If there is then check for power after the switch with it on. If there is power after the switch check the relay, then start following wires.

Comment

First check your dimmer switch. Inspect all terminals to make sure that they have no corrosion or strong oxidation. All dash illumination goes through the dimmer switch.
      Otherwise, extract them, Dremel them with a mini wire wheel and pop them back in.
      The worst scenario is a wire break. Move the harness a little with your hand to see if the lights flicker or not.
      I had this happen with my headlights, on a harness change.

My wire broke at the turn near the overflow bottle. If you don't have a signal tracer, you may have to replace the entire piece of wire.
      Good news. You can probably re & re (remove and replace) your dash in less than half the time, due to experience.

Another thought. Older Festivas did not have a headlight relay.
      What year was the harness from?
      Also, Canadian Festivas were wired for daylight running lamps.

Check the diagrams.

If you need Yazaki parts to make everything work properly,
      then go to Eastern Beaver
      I would buy the terminals for the connector that go to the alternator and the turn signal lights.
      They probably have terrible corrosion, since they are not sealed.
      I replaced all of mine with new ones.
      There is nothing like the smell of fresh brass.
      No problemo.

Last edited by bravekozak; 02-21-2018, 07:55 AM.

Comment

It could be the connector. Try spraying with contact cleaner or WD-40. Logically it should not be the swtich but that can be sprayed without removing the steering wheel cover. I've had problems with headlights not coming on and spraying WD-40 into the ignition keyhole and working it in with the ignition key has solved the problem. Hope yours is something as simple.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Okay, so yesterday I was driving it and I turned it off and it wouldn’t turn back on, so we tested the battery and found it wasnt getting the charge it should be getting. So we switched the alternator and tested it again and it looked good. Then I looked at the main fuse block and tested for electricity there (when the fuse in he left was wiggled the check engine light would go inch or off) so the car turned on and one of the fuse wires got really hat. So we switched one of the wires and it wasn’t heating up anymore so that’s good. We switched some other things out. Switched the air filter on the passenger front headlight out. Becuase I was told sometimes if that’s broken festivas won’t run. And I’m the main fuse block in the middle there is something called EMF or EPH it something like that, that was switched out too. After doing all that the car seems to be turning over and I have headlights and flashlights. However the check engine light is still on and when reading the. Code it just flashed 9 times and with a 4 second pause then 9 times again over and over. I used lots of electrical cleaner to clean p the connections too

Comment

I wouldn't trust what Festival has to say.
            ECT sensor?
            Last edited by bravekozak; 03-11-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I check it out and see if that fixes anything and let you guys know

Comment

Okay. So I accidently put a ground on my starter and some stuff started smoking. So I’m just wondering if anyone knows where I could get the wiring under the hood(like alternator to batter to starter, to all the wires by the driver headlight) and know for sure it will work (instead of taking it from a scrapyard car)

Comment

Joshuajz, what year car do you have and what year did the harness come out of? I believe that the 88-89 harness is different from the 90-93 harness.
                  Jerry
                  Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                  90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                  92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                  93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

The harness in the vehicle right now is from the same year.

Comment

Working...
                    X