HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!

Got my festy today. Was goin down road, let of gas car jerked left touched gas jerked right wtf is going on???

Sounds like trans mounts maybe?

How hard were you on it when you let off?
    1991 Festiva - Newest Toy
    1986 Horizon - The Race Car
    1993 Suburban 2500 - The Workhorse
    1995 Dakota 4cyl - The Eternally Broken

Comment

Have a look at your sway bar and control arm bushings. If one of them got so bad it fell out or something it couod do that. There are 8 bushings.
      Also check for play in the tie rod ends

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Check your lower control arms, the ball joint when worn badly will act like this, the car will dart left or right depending on what you do with the throttle, if you have a friend that is willing to help you, lay on the ground in front of your car, have a friend bounce the front of your up and down, watch the ball joint with a flash light you might be surprised at the movement you see.
        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Have had a ball joint pulling out of the pinch bolt cause this,had a worn out balljoint cause this, have had stabilizer bar bushings worn out cause this, but the weirdest one was the crossmember bolts had pulled out of the radiator support so the stabilzer bar was supporting the engine and transmission so throttle position moved the stabilizer bar changing caster and toe.
          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Do you ever check them with a prybar? My go to method but yours is easier and if equally effective I'm doing it your way next time.
            Originally posted by sc72 View Post
            Check your lower control arms, the ball joint when worn badly will act like this, the car will dart left or right depending on what you do with the throttle, if you have a friend that is willing to help you, lay on the ground in front of your car, have a friend bounce the front of your up and down, watch the ball joint with a flash light you might be surprised at the movement you see.
            Last edited by ricko1966; 02-27-2018, 10:31 PM.
            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Also, wheel will turn left 3 full turns. Only supposed to go maybe 2. Only to the left tho

Comment

Should i just replace whole rack and pinion?

Comment

Sounds like some more diagnosis is in order here. Get a buddy to help you, even better if they are mechanically inclined and you are unsure of your own skills. Don't start throwing parts at it without determining the root cause of the problem, and please don't ask how I learned that....

Comment

Like radi8u said about the diagnosing of the root cause... this may help (you may need to enlarge to read):
                    Manual steering diagnosis.jpg

The symptoms you describe are usually related to suspension or bearing issues. While you steering rack and rod end may be worn and need replacing, that may not fix your problem, and fixes to the suspension are less expensive and easier to do than replacing the steering rack.
                    Last edited by 1990new; 02-28-2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

You could try swerving side to side while driving, also accelerating and decelerating. See if any symptoms.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Okay thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                        X