Steering Rack Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Rack Rebuild

I finished the rebuild of a Festiva steering rack this week.. Here are pictures of the process. (these are all after I had removed the old boots and inner tie rod ends and cleaned it up).
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/QXpLYR9BPFXoWy4D3

I was wondering how to do this. When i look at your photos i see 2 new inner tie rod ends, some plastic thing, threadlocker and fresh grease on the rack.
    So other than greasing the rack what did you do to the rack itself?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

This was really just a limited rebuild. The right rack support bushing had literally disintegrated in the housing and came out in pieces and the inner tie rod ends were worn and sloppy.
      But the pinion bearings appeared good and the support yoke was firmly against the pinion gear with no play so I did not remove the pinion and bearing assembly or the rack.
      I cleaned out all the old grease and gunk using diesel fuel and compressed air, then injected new grease into the pinion and bearing area, coated the rack with grease. put locktite on the inner tie rod threads and screwed them on and finally put the new boots on and added the new outer tie rod ends.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
        This was really just a limited rebuild. The right rack support bushing had literally disintegrated in the housing and came out in pieces and the inner tie rod ends were worn and sloppy.
        But the pinion bearings appeared good and the support yoke was firmly against the pinion gear with no play so I did not remove the pinion and bearing assembly or the rack.
        I cleaned out all the old grease and gunk using diesel fuel and compressed air, then injected new grease into the pinion and bearing area, coated the rack with grease. put locktite on the inner tie rod threads and screwed them on and finally put the new boots on and added the new outer tie rod ends.
        Ok!
        The rack support bushing- is this the one your talking about? http://www.fourgreen.com/store/mobil...roduct=5689912

Last edited by ryanprins13; 03-03-2018, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
          Ok!
          The rack support bushing- is this the one your talking about? http://www.fourgreen.com/store/mobil...roduct=5689912

Yes That's it. It fits the Aluminum housing rack.

Comment

Yes That's it. It fits the Aluminum housing rack.
            Ok, are all the racks aluminum?
            And how do you replace them? Do you just pull the old one out and push this one in?

Does it go here?

Last edited by ryanprins13; 03-03-2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Ok, are all the racks aluminum?
              And how do you replace them? Do you just pull the old one out and push this one in?

Does it go here?

I know that the 1990-1993 USA Festivas came with Aluminum housing Racks and I'm pretty sure the 88-89 Festivas came with the steel racks because my friend Sam's 88 has the steel housing rack and my 89 has the steel housing rack.

I have never been able to find the rack bushings for the steel rack so I ground down the outside of one of the aluminum bushings (the inside diameter is the same) and put it in one that I rebuilt.. just wedged in there so I'm not sure if it will stay... That rack is still in the garage and never been used again.

Usually the old bushings are destroyed and they come out in pieces. The tabs on the end of the bushing spring out into a grove inside the housing as you push them over the rack into the housing.
              If your old bushing did not fall apart I guess you could use a little chisel to cut the tabs that fall into the groves and it will come out.

Yes the bushing goes on the right side around the rack shaft and into the housing where those tabs fall into the grooves to keep it in.
              Last edited by 1990new; 03-04-2018, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I know that the 1990-1993 USA Festivas came with Aluminum housing Racks and I'm pretty sure the 88-89 Festivas came with the steel racks because my friend Sam's 88 has the steel housing rack and my 89 has the steel housing rack.

I have never been able to find the rack bushings for the steel rack so I ground down the outside of one of the aluminum bushings (the inside diameter is the same) and put it in one that I rebuilt.. just wedged in there so I'm not sure if it will stay... That rack is still in the garage and never been used again.

Usually the old bushings are destroyed and they come out in pieces. The tabs on the end of the bushing spring out into a grove inside the housing as you push them over the rack into the housing.
                If your old bushing did not fall apart I guess you could use a little chisel to cut the tabs that fall into the groves and it will come out.

Yes the bushing goes on the right side around the rack shaft and into the housing where those tabs fall into the grooves to keep it in.
                Thanks! I have a 92 so it will have an aluminum rack. I replaced my inner tie rod ends but never looked close at the rack. I bought 2 of those bushings i linked from fourgreen, they are in the mail now. I have to take the tie rod ends back apart anyway to replace my boots now that i have new ones. So the bushing only goes on the passenger side and there is no bushing on the drivers side?

Comment

Thanks! I have a 92 so it will have an aluminum rack. I replaced my inner tie rod ends but never looked close at the rack. I bought 2 of those bushings i linked from fourgreen, they are in the mail now. I have to take the tie rod ends back apart anyway to replace my boots now that i have new ones. So the bushing only goes on the passenger side and there is no bushing on the drivers side?

That is correct.

Comment

Looks like they werent in the mail. Fourgreen canceled my order and refunded my money. They dont have those bushings now. Where did you get yours/are they available anywhere else?

Comment

Looks like they werent in the mail. Fourgreen canceled my order and refunded my money. They dont have those bushings now. Where did you get yours/are they available anywhere else?

That's a shame they don't have any more bushings. I only have 1 remaining on the shelf myself. Fourgreen seems to be running out of more and more festiva stuff.
                      I just checked my old fourgreen orders and the last one I got were In August of 2016.
                      6 MDX0132114 RACK BUSH - $3.43
                      $20.58

I have not idea about another source for them. I put the part number in a google search and came up with lots of sites that had good rack diagrams.. possibly Iran has them but of course we can't buy them from there.

I wonder if jimdigs could print those ... can the 3d printers print nylon parts?
                      Last edited by 1990new; 03-11-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I couldnt find any online and fourgreen isnt sending mine so i went ahead and installed my new tie rod end boots. They ended up being significantly shorter than the stock ones, they want to pop off when you steer as far as you can one way or the other.
                        But anyway, i dont see any bushing at all in there. Can you confirm if i have one or not? I dont see anything...

Comment

Yep, that yellow looking part down inside the rack is the OEM bushing.
                          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

If the rack shaft was not going through that bushing it would flop around in all directions within the housing. So if no play, or just a little bit, you can drive with it a while longer. Eventually the bushin will wear out and will need to be replaced though. Make sure it is well lubricated with lithium based (waxy) grease in there in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                              Yep, that yellow looking part down inside the rack is the OEM bushing.
                              Ok! Thats quite a ways down there. I thought it was grease actually.

If the rack shaft was not going through that bushing it would flop around in all directions within the housing. So if no play, or just a little bit, you can drive with it a while longer. Eventually the bushin will wear out and will need to be replaced though. Make sure it is well lubricated with lithium based (waxy) grease in there in the meantime.
                              It seemed reasonably tight to me, so im good for a while. I just checked the grease i used and it is lithium based! Lucky me. Whats the reason for wanting to use a lithium based grease?

Comment

Working...
                              X