Factory Radio (No Cassette) in Trixie quit qorking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Radio (No Cassette) in Trixie quit qorking

The factory radio in Trixie just stopped working and I have not clue about what the problem might be.
    When I turn it on the speakers make that little clicking sound that's normal when it's turned on with the sound all the way off, but when I turn up the volume no sound comes out.
    The tuner changes stations and the clock work, just no sound from any station.
    The connectors are original and appear to be in great condition and the antenna wire looked OK.

I removed the radio and pulled the knobs and the face pulled it down... don't see anything unusual. I have not opened the metal box yet though.

Anyone familiar with the workings of these radios have any suggestions.
    Also the light behind the faceplate is burned out anyone know the number I need.. do they make led lights to replace them?

Found a bulb that works good behind the radio display. It's Napa long life miniature bulb BP37LL-N.

Also bought a radio from eviljimchicken. It's white faced with green lights. The radio sound and tuning worked great until I started to fiddle with it.
    Only two of the five green lights worked in it and the display worked but was kind of washed out so I decided to exchange the face from my old radio to it.
    When I carefully pulled it off, two of the little wires on the flat connector stuck to the board and pulled out of the flat plastic cable. So now it won't tune or display.
    So now I will attempt to do some micro soldering to reconnect the two tiny wires.

Comment

Well I got a working radio back in Trixie today.

helloish12321 came by in is Yellow 90 with that rebuilt transmission today to return my Rotunda kit and when I told him about my radio issues.. he said he just happened to have one in the back of his car... and it was the one with the cassette. I paid him $25 for it, put a new light behind the display and it is now in Trixie.

I still have the good white face / green light no cassette one that is a good radio and will be perfect when I get the tuner and display connector repaired.
      When I get it fixed, I'll probably put it in Rosie. She has an orange face radio in her now.
      Last edited by 1990new; 03-11-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Amazing soldering work

I decided that I was too far sighted and don't have steady enough hands to attempt those tiny solder connections so I took the radio to Evinjim a couple weeks ago.
        Eviljim is a genius...Today I went to his house to test the radio that he had re-attached the front panel to and it worked perfect.
        He used and old IDE computer cable and did some amazingly tiny soldering to reattach the face to the radio.
        He warned me in advance that he wasn't sure he got everything right and thought it might not work... but he did a perfect job.
        Many thanks Eviljim.

So Rosie now has a good white face/green light radio in her to match the rest of the panel. I'll put the orange face one on the shelf for backup.

He had been looking for some better manual seat belts because his were a bit frayed. I had found a 96 Geo Tracker at the local LKQ and told him about it.
        LKQ is only a couple of miles from his house so we went over to check it out. There were there and in pretty good shape so we pulled them. Got a great
        deal on them because everything was 40% off for Easter weekend.
        Last edited by 1990new; 03-31-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
          I decided that I was too far sighted and don't have steady enough hands to attempt those tiny solder connections so I took the radio to Evinjim a couple weeks ago.
          Eviljim is a genius...Today I went to his house to test the radio that he had re-attached the front panel to and it worked perfect.
          He used and old IDE computer cable and did some amazingly tiny soldering to reattach the face to the radio.
          He warned me in advance that he wasn't sure he got everything right and thought it might not work... but he did a perfect job.
          Many thanks Eviljim.

So Rosie now has a good white face/green light radio in her to match the rest of the panel. I'll put the orange face one on the shelf for backup.

He had been looking for some better manual seat belts because his were a bit frayed. I had found a 96 Geo Tracker at the local LKQ and told him about it.
          LKQ is only a couple of miles from his house so we went over to check it out. There were there and in pretty good shape so we pulled them. Got a great
          deal on them because everything was 40% off for Easter weekend.
          Just cleaned those tracker seatbelts, they came out really nice. Just soaked them in a bucket with water, bleach, and laundry detergent. Then rinsed them in clean water until the water stopped turning brown.

Here is a picture of the repair on the radio, almost all of the traces lifted so I ended up having to connect them directly to the legs of that black chip.

I honestly have no idea how none of those connections are shorting out lol

Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
          Something new breaks every day

Comment

Wow!
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
            X