Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

93 Manual jerking terribly from 1st to 2nd gear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Manual jerking terribly from 1st to 2nd gear...

Probably have put about 4 grand into this car over the past three months... Now having an issue with the throttle body apparently. Could this be causing the car to jerk iradically in 1st and second? I don't mind putting money into the car but at this point what's the deal? Can these cars be restored or is there just some things that have run their course and should be junked? The performance of the car has barely improved after water pump, timing belt, valve cover gasket, ignition coil, spark plugs and wires.... etc...

Don't give up just yet!

This guy just changed his gear oil.

Also check for a leaking vacuum line.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 03-03-2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Is it a clutch issue? Clutch chatter can come from worn or glazed clutch. I get some in damp weather. Not a problem in winter.

Your more general question about keeping car: How worn is the engine? How many miles on the odometer? Can you do a compression test? A vacuum guage? My thinking is I can replace most stuff after searching the Interenet for lowest cost parts. But I'm not able to do engine work, however. As long as the engine and transmission are good I can keep the car. I try to do my own maintenance, diagnosis, and repair with advice from Festiva owners here on the website. So far that's working great and I have an economical little vehicle.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

254k miles, engine sounds and runs great.. I'm not mechanically inclined at all I've been buying parts recommended by a mechanic who will put them in for me at a lower cost. He's saying its the throttle body. So I have another one on the way after the new one I purchased on ebay was recieved damaged. This throttle is coming with the entire air intake so we're gonna swap that and see if it helps

Comment

So you overheated the car a while back, i presume you got all the air out and the head gasket is not blown?
          If the jerkyness and dying started after the last work then its possible your new timing belt got installed a tooth off, its easy to do. Also could be a vaccum hose that cracked while the work was being done or an intake hose not tight enough.
          You said it was diagnosed as a throttle body issue, now your asking if thats possible. Can you tell us why it was diagnosed as the throttle body? Thanks.
          If the mechanic removed it to change the valve cover gasket its possible the throttle body gasket is bad if he didnt replace it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X