Filling Lower shifter Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling Lower shifter Housing

Does anyone have a writeup or know of one that shows the process of how to fill the lower housing with poly, as far as what to do and what you need? I think I may have found 2, but the picture links are broken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

What is a "lower shifter housing". and "poly"?
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I be seen multiple posts about shifters falling through the floor and people filling the shifter housing with polyurethane to "repair" the worn out rubber ears in the bottom of the shifter housing that hold the shifter up, but I have yet to see a working post to see how it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly5984 View Post
        Does anyone have a writeup or know of one that shows the process of how to fill the lower housing with poly, as far as what to do and what you need? I think I may have found 2, but the picture links are broken.

I dont recall seeing a good writeup before on that. Could you please link the 2 you found here?
        If they were photobucket photos i may be able to still view them and rehost them here or send them to you. If not will samet can probably fix the links of i can talk to the original poster about redoing his photos.
        Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by ryanprins13; 03-06-2018, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
          I dont recall seeing a good writeup before on that. Could you please link the 2 you found here?
          If they were photobucket photos i may be able to still view them and rehost them here or send them to you. If not will samet can probably fix the links of i can talk to the original poster about redoing his photos.
          Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
          I can try to find it but it was pretty old
          Edit: https://fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49393

I guess it wasn't really a writeup but there is a post in this thread that showed what to do, and maybe how to do it. If not, I'd like to see a writeup on it.
          Last edited by Grizzly5984; 03-06-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

LOL 1 self tapping screw will fix that problem! 2 if you want to get real fancy :tm:
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

oh, that's what this is about. ^^ I've seen the photo of that screw here.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                LOL 1 self tapping screw will fix that problem! 2 if you want to get real fancy :tm:
                Ive seen that too. My shifter hasn't fallen yet, but I was curious about what they were talking about. Seems like the screw would be a lot easier.

Comment

I've done both, the "window weld" is a bit nicer since it still provides some amount of vibration isolation but also stiffens it up and prevents the shifter from ever falling. In a pinch a self tapper is quick and easy.
                  ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                  91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                  1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                  2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I thought the urethane made it shift better? I actually have no clue where it goes or what happens for a shifter to fall out, but anyway... I cant view the old photos and Will just crashed his car so Im sure he will be busy with that for a bit. I just PMed the guy who originally made that post to see if he still has the photos, we will see what happens.

Comment

It definitely does make the shifter feel much nicer. Stock, even in good shape, feels spongy IMO. I don't have the pics to reup at the moment. I transferred a lot of them to flickr, but I didn't get the shifter fill ones.

If you've ever filled a motor mount it's pretty much as straightforward as that. When I can get my to my pics again I'll get them back up. It'll be a few months though.
                      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Pics of clean and fill.

https://fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?49393-Shifter-bushing-trouble&p=756288&viewfull=1#post756288
                        Last edited by sketchman; 06-11-2018, 11:33 AM.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I'll spam the answer I just put in the other thread- although I wrote a thread on it also a couple of years back:

Did the "window weld fill" a couple of years back- from inside the car and taking nothing apart- let it set overnight- I haven't had any issues since, but was wondering the other day if I'll have to do it again- I think it might be slipping farther down an eighth inch or so- cheap $20 fix. I may stihl have some left- have ta check.

The nylon bushings are still in the glove box- the shifting may be getting a little sloppy- the small copper seal fix (2-3 oz) over time seems to have arrested the transaxle leak I was experiencing, along with using thicker gear oil.

I also cut a jar lid as a support gasket and ran a worm clamp around the outside perimeter as a support- I don't think it is that needed- I wasn't having good results getting side screws drilled and driven. Had my doubts about the window weld, but it really does work easily-

if you can spend more and get a harder compound choice, that may keep you from repeating it down the line.

Comment

Working...
                          X