Cleaning throttle body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning throttle body?

I want to attempt to clean my throttle body on my 93 manual Festiva; the car is experiencing rough idle and poor performance 1st, & 2nd gear.. unless I give it the perfect amount of gas once it's warmed up. Can I clean this without removing the throttle body?

Yeah. I take the plastic intake tubing out and clean it. Then turn the throttle valve open and spray everything off you can see in the manifold. Reattach tubing, fire it up. Once its running fine theres a little vac hose on the top of the throttle body you pop off and spray in there as you rev the engine. Should mist everything else out. That works fairly well. I used seafoam.
    You should be able to spray into most or all passages with the throttle body in the car

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Any thoughts on this video

Comment

I know that W4rky told me once that his car did the same thing with that sensor. My thoughts on the video is that he has an open hose just hanging off the intake. He may have it sealed but it looks open which would cause problems...
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Indeed, that sensor in the intake is the ECT, it sends the coolant temp to the ECU, which uses the data to adjust the Air/Fuel ratio. If it goes bad, you will run way to rich, as the car will still think it is cold. If you unplug it, it defaults to an in-between fuel map, which worked just fine for me as long as the temp outside was above 20F.
          Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
          Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
          Feel free to PM me anytime!
          Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
          Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Was able to get the ECT disconnected, however that did not fix my idle it just killed the car.

Comment

Have you checked the compression yet?
              "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
              sigpic
              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
              "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
              "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
              "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Wiggle the harness and plug on the VAF. See if that's part of it. I'm frustrated and about to start a thread on how to address that flaky connection. I don't want to cut and solder all new wires if I can get out of it.
                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                X