Manual trans use atf or gear oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual trans use atf or gear oil?

Im sure this question has been asked and answered a million times..... But in a manual trans is it better to run ATF or a gear oil? The car had a loose axel when i bought it and it leaked all the fluid out , it has 262k miles and i think that atf would be. To thin . i read on the capri forum the xr2 guy's run gear oil and it works fine. Whats yalls opinion on this? N what are yall running in yours? Thanks!
    The #Racespire the ultimate sleeper....it never wakes up! :woc:
    1995 aspire 4D (#racespire) B6T swapped -under construction
    1995 aspire 4D ps,abs ,ac,auto 60k
    1996 aspire 2D - had a hard life
    1993 festy manual 262k miles and still ticking
    1989 festy carbed dream car finally own it
    1988 festy carbed manual
    1997 aspire 2D 5spd soon to be B6D
    1996 aspire 4D (parts car)
    1993 capri XR2 donor car -soon to be project car...

The 1980s manuals called for gear oil, I put in the synthetic kind which is a lower W number but still thicker than atf.

That being said I have actually put Mobil1 engine oil in other brands of transaxles. Don't use ATF, you need some clinging properties, not splash on splash off.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I've used atf, 70w 90 gear lube 15w-40 diesel oil and 20w50 bike oil I get the least amount of brass after a drain with the oil. I like the 15w 40 best the bike oil is stuff when it's cold out. This has been my with the g series racing autox and the e series trans with sprited daily driving.
      The atf works but I get gear gringo if I shift fast.

Comment

256k miles on atf. Can't get any better than that. keep using it. I've used atf for 20 years and never had a trans failure.

Comment

Lots of talk about it. What works: atf, 10w30, mtf, syncromesh, 75w90 gear oil, and the 20w50 motorbike oil. Any of those will do a daily driver fine. If your always racing go with the 20w50 motorbike oil.

If not, whatever is handy. Atf is probably better than 10w30, mtf and syncromesh is better than atf, gear oil is fine as long as its GL4- most GL5's are quite corrosive to yellow metals. The motorbike oil is the best if your hard on the trans.
          I used atf for a long time, 10w30 for a long time and just bought some synthetic 75w90 for when im towing this summer.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would want to avoid anything which will whip itself up into a froth. I use atf which is recommened in the owner's manual.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Gear gringo is the worst. I've heard of him. As a gringo myself I know my place, to not grind where I'm not welcome
              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Thanks for all the reply's ! The car is just gonna be a here n there daily. No racing or auto-x so i think ima go with a gear oil and see how it works... well If the weather here on the east coast ever decides to get decent enough for me to work on the little car
                The #Racespire the ultimate sleeper....it never wakes up! :woc:
                1995 aspire 4D (#racespire) B6T swapped -under construction
                1995 aspire 4D ps,abs ,ac,auto 60k
                1996 aspire 2D - had a hard life
                1993 festy manual 262k miles and still ticking
                1989 festy carbed dream car finally own it
                1988 festy carbed manual
                1997 aspire 2D 5spd soon to be B6D
                1996 aspire 4D (parts car)
                1993 capri XR2 donor car -soon to be project car...

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                  Gear gringo is the worst. I've heard of him. As a gringo myself I know my place, to not grind where I'm not welcome
                  Apparently this is not a problem with Festivas in Mexico.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                  X