Ignition Control Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Control Module

Is there an ignition control module in the distributor?

Thank you

Jack

On some years it's in the distributor, on others it's on the fender.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasjack View Post
      Is there an ignition control module in the distributor?

Thank you

Jack
      did you find the control module? if so did you replace it? where was it exactly was it a problematic job . i think i have a failing module but i dont want to start pulling the dizzy apart unless absolutely necessary

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
        On some years it's in the distributor, on others it's on the fender.
        the one that's inside the distributor is it hard to replace?, does the dizzy need to be pulled completely from the engine

Comment

The module inside the distributor is not hard to replace, just a small wrench or socket to remove the distribtuor cap and a screwdriver to remove the module. I think there are three wires. Note which one goes where. When replacing the module it should really be bedded in dielectric heat transfer paste as they are sensitive to heat. I found the paste in little capsules for $1 each at an electronics store where it is sold to bed CPU's in cumputers. One capsule does two ignition modules. Some auto parts stores used to test ignition modules for free.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
            The module inside the distributor is not hard to replace, just a small wrench or socket to remove the distribtuor cap and a screwdriver to remove the module. I think there are three wires. Note which one goes where. When replacing the module it should really be bedded in dielectric heat transfer paste as they are sensitive to heat. I found the paste in little capsules for $1 each at an electronics store where it is sold to bed CPU's in cumputers. One capsule does two ignition modules. Some auto parts stores used to test ignition modules for free.
            thats what i thought but mine seems to be locked in there real good, i took the screws out and it was loose but it was not coming out , the steel thing on the center spindle, dont know what its called, with the little knobs was preventing its removal, and a great lump of some sort of blue glue was on it, no way it was coming out easy
            Last edited by cathari5; 03-26-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Mine is in the fender of my '91- I got a new one for $15-20-ish when I was having unknown starting problems that turned out to be the main EFI relay and easy $2 fix. So I got both a new MAF and ignition module- guess they work! The car is still parked- should I keep or sell?
              Last edited by harpon; 03-26-2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harpon View Post
                Mine is in the fender of my '91- I got a new one for $15-20-ish when I was having unknown starting problems that turned out to be the main EFI relay and easy $2 fix. So I got both a new MAF and ignition module- guess they work! The car is still parked- should I keep or sell?
                mines a bugger, its in the dizzy, and is being difficult to get out , but i`ll figure it eventually. , keeep it, fuel prices are ridiculous. price for a new module in australia is $65

Comment

I replaced the ICM in the distributor of my 89LX a few years ago. It was failing completely when warm. I don't recall any issues, but the part was expensive -- about $200 as I recall.
                  88L black, dailydriver
                  88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                  4 88/89 disassembled
                  91L green
                  91GL aqua pwrsteer
                  92GL red a/c reardmg
                  3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                  1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                    I replaced the ICM in the distributor of my 89LX a few years ago. It was failing completely when warm. I don't recall any issues, but the part was expensive -- about $200 as I recall.
                    thanks mate, i got it sorted eventually, only cost $45 on ebay, it was inside the dissy, remove rotor, removed screws and used a flat head screwdriver to split the two parts of the module and could then easily remove the icm, had me stumped for a bit ty1

Comment

Working...
                    X