Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk/Hatch Rattle

Hey guys,

Just got the red car registered and on the road. Got a question: The trunk/hatch rattles and bounces off the latch. I had this same problem on my old white car but never was able to figure out a good solution. Do you guys have any ideas or success stories on how to fix it? It's quite annoying going over anything with the coilovers, hahaha.
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
    Hey guys,

Just got the red car registered and on the road. Got a question: The trunk/hatch rattles and bounces off the latch. I had this same problem on my old white car but never was able to figure out a good solution. Do you guys have any ideas or success stories on how to fix it? It's quite annoying going over anything with the coilovers, hahaha.
    Stiff suspension readily exposes the creaks and rattles in a vehicle. I'd try foam/rubber tape on metal bits until you successfully isolate what is actually rattling.
    1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
    1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
    2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

When the hatch is closed grab it without pulling the handle and wiggle the hatch. Can you rattle it a bit by hand? Or is it juat over bigger bumps?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I can rattle it by hand.
        Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"

Comment

I can rattle it by hand.
          Then its not latching all the way. Your probably not closing it hard enough. Spray some silicon or graphite lube on the latch and then slam it harder. Put your hand on the outside of the hatch near the latch and slam it real hard but keep your hand on the hatch and push hard as it closes, follow through so to speak. Not like you close the drivers door, lol.
          Then see if it still rattles by hand

Comment

Felt furniture sliders helped a lot on my car. Just stick 'em where the factory rubber bumpers on the hatch contacts the body. The lock rod can make one hell of a racket too, putting a little sideways tension on it with a small spring will reduce a lot of that.
            Last edited by radi8u; 04-04-2018, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
              Then its not latching all the way. Your probably not closing it hard enough. Spray some silicon or graphite lube on the latch and then slam it harder. Put your hand on the outside of the hatch near the latch and slam it real hard but keep your hand on the hatch and push hard as it closes, follow through so to speak. Not like you close the drivers door, lol.
              Then see if it still rattles by hand

I can tell you it's definitely closing all the way, hahahaha. I'll check the latch and see if it slid forward.
              Current cars:

Comment

I can tell you it's definitely closing all the way, hahahaha. I'll check the latch and see if it slid forward.
                If the latch is closing all the way it wouldnt be rattling on the latch. Either the mechanism needs some lube , the strike plate is too far foreward or your not slamming it hard enough.
                If the strike plate was too far back or your seals or bump stops were not touching it then you couod maybe wiggle the door a bit by hand but not rattle it

Comment

Try a search on "loose hatch" or maybe "hatch loose" and read some of the discussions. Here's a link to one
                  Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Good luck.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                    Try a search on "loose hatch" or maybe "hatch loose" and read some of the discussions. Here's a link to one
                    Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Good luck.
                    I didn't think of searching "loose" and "hatch" came up a huge amount of results.

I checked the latch and it is definitely latching down properly. I get a first click where it's really loose, and then a second click where it's only a little loose. I noticed the bump stops are loose on the outside edges.
                    Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                    X