Speedometer going crazy?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer going crazy?!

Hi all, I just bought a 93 yesterday, my first Festiva! On my drive home my speedo started going crazy! Up and down from 60-140km/h. Any advice on how to fix it, or areas to look at first? It reads the speed fine up until 40-50km/h.
    Thanks in advance!

I would try lubing the cable. Unscrew it from the top of the transmission, pull the cable out of the outer jacket, clean it, grease it, and reassemble. Should last for a couple years before it needs redone.

Comment

Yep the grease gets sticky in there and makes it jump .
      Pull the cable out as radi8u stated I've done this several times best thing I've used on the cable is engine oil just clean the cable with some solvent and feed it down into a jug or oil, let the excess drip off and reinstall.
      That's what I've found works best but if I do it again I think I'll try graphite .

Comment

I vote for graphite.

Comment

You can test with and electric drill once the end is out of the transmission, maybe after cleaning and lubing. I find it easier to work with by pulling the free end of cable and housing up into the engine bay. Be careful not to put any kinks into the cable.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yes, i found the grease i used gets too thick in the winter. I clean the cable with rubbing alcohol and use either graphite spray lube from home depot or oil.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by ryanprins13; 04-27-2018, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X