Randomly dies and loss of throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randomly dies and loss of throttle

Have a 89 efi auto I picked up about 2 years ago for 160 bucks with a blown head gasket changed head gasket long story short it set since because my dumb self set timing 180 out and gave up figuring it had a warped head fast forward to this last weekend i brought to car to my current house and messed with it again got the timing correct fired up runing a little rough due to old gas replaced all vacuum line and ran better let it idle for around 15 minutes and it just dies like the key being turned off the other issue I have is I can drive it down the road with no issues then the cel will come on and I'll lose throttle still running keep in mind then cel will go off and proceed just fine again not sure what's going on with it but thanks in advance
    Newcomb941

The dying when warm makes me think of the ignition control module (aka transistorized points) which is heat sensitive and when near it's end of life can fail and cause the engine to cut out (aks stall) when the car wams up. When out on the road just waiting for the engine to cool down can get it running again.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Well I failed to mention when it does die It restarts immediately

Comment

Start with a new dist.

Comment

In that case I'd go over the ignition system, cleaning components and checking for clean and tight connections.
          There is also a group of fuse wires on the firewall which can cause that problem. People clean the connections and replace them with cartridge fuses.
          All that's pretty cheap to do.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Possible cause for engine dying is a bad or missing ground to head. The head has a separate ground from the lower block to ground the spark plugs. Sad to say but "been there, done that"

Comment

Working...
            X