Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inner/Outer Tie Rods, Lower Control Arms and drivers side axle tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner/Outer Tie Rods, Lower Control Arms and drivers side axle tips?

Hey guys, this weekend I will be doing my drivers side inner and outer tie rods, drivers side axle, and passenger side lower control arm on my 93. Any tips or suggestions? This will be my first time doing anything on a Festiva, and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by BaszaltJosh View Post
    Hey guys, this weekend I will be doing my drivers side inner and outer tie rods, drivers side axle, and passenger side lower control arm on my 93. Any tips or suggestions? This will be my first time doing anything on a Festiva, and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Go out and spray the captive nut for the inner lca bolt with pb plaster or good penatrating lube now. You dont want to break that one loose. Be very careful putting the bolt back in too. With a new stiff lca it can be hard to line up the bolt. Take your time.
    Buy moog control arms and tie rod ends. If your inner tie rod end boot is split you NEED to replace it. Pack lots of grease around that inner ball joint and grease the rack a little.
    I trust you got new outer lca bushings? Make sure to install the washers the way its stamped on them.
    With the axle- good luck.... be sure to replace the transmission output shaft seal when you do it. Its a good time to change your trans fluid, 3qts.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I said good luck with the axle, but your brand new to festivas so i will explain that a bit more. most of the time the axles come out fine, but sometimes they dont. So to start you take a prybar and with a quick but firm motion try and pop it out of the trans. Not too hard, not just staright pressure. Do your best to pop it out straight, on an angle doesnt work as well. If it doesnt come out on your first try turn the axle a bit and try again. It should come out. If not try a bit harder but if it still wont its likely gonna be stuck and just ask on here how to take apart that axle so the stub stays in the trans and put the new cv shaft on that stub

Last edited by ryanprins13; 04-27-2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Do a search on inner tie rods. Do not be surprised if you cannot get the rods off the rack. good luck

Comment

Awesome! Thank you so much. I will post when I do it!

Comment

Why would I not be able to get the rods off the rack?

Comment

Some of them have a roll pin to keep them tight. Hope you have a punch set and a hammer. However 99.99% of people who replace an inner tie rod end do not put a roll pin back in. Just use blue lock tight. I wouldnt be concerned unless its an original part, lol. Neither of my festivas still had them.
              However they can be quite tight. Bring some big wrenches and if your scared its gonna break something use some heat. If someone else used loctight it will loosen that up

Last edited by ryanprins13; 04-27-2018, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X