TRANS OIL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRANS OIL.

I added oil to my stick trans and now I see oil spatter on my hatch. Any idea where it's coming from?

hatch = rear lift door?
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yes, the rear hatch.

Comment

If you overfilled it can push out the vent. But you added oil meaning there is a leak right? Check the output shaft seals, thats a common spot

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Be sure you didn't over fill. Mine leaked forever even after I replaced the shaft seals. I finally removed some fluid and the problem went away. Just my personal experience. I could be wrong. I think it was coming out the vent like ryanprins13 said.

Comment

What do you have to do to change the shaft seals??

Comment

The output shaft seals?
              Drain the fluid
              Pop the cv shafts out
              Pry seals out
              Tap new seals in
              Pop cv shafts back in
              Refill with fluid.

Comment

thanks......sounds easy enough...…….

Comment

Lol, the step 'pop the cv shafts out' can be 5 min or 2 weeks.

If your control arm bolts come right out and the cv shafts pop right out its 5 min. Some people spend weeks on the cv shafts. Ive had em pop out first try, had one take 4hrs with 2 guys and 2 i couldnt get out after about 4hrs.

Comment

I had someone work on mine a while back and they re-installed them without the clips......come right out now. I have never heard why they are there in the first place, unless it is to keep the shafts from falling out while the car is going down the assembly line.

Comment

What kind of oil do manual transmissions use? My local parts store said ATF is what the manual uses and I don't trust that.

Comment

You can use ATF but I use conventional 15w40 Rotella motor oil. Motorcycle or diesel (C as in compression rated) oil like Rotella has more ZDDP in it then conventional (S rated, S as in spark) motor oil. ZDDP is what sliding parts (your transaxle) like. Some guys are running synthetic 20w50 motorcycle oil. My experience with synthetics has not been good such as leaks where I had none with dinosaur oil. People say there is no relationship but it seems like there was a connection in my case. BTW, I have always run Rotella diesel oil in my Festivas. It is not rated for use in gasoline vehicles because the ZDDP additive is not converter friendly. Our converters are at least 25 years old and I would imagine are no longer functioning as intended. The ZDDP additive does not plug up converters although it has been found to damage some of the elements within the converter. Also from what I have been reading the ZDDP in Rotella has been cut in half due to the fact that the newer diesels have converters. Valvoline racing oil has the highest content (or so I have read) of ZDDP of any dino oil.
                        '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                        '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                        '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Yes, atf is what was specced from factory. It works, so does just about anything else, lol

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                            I had someone work on mine a while back and they re-installed them without the clips......come right out now. I have never heard why they are there in the first place, unless it is to keep the shafts from falling out while the car is going down the assembly line.
                            That's probably why your leaking fluid your axels can slide out past the sealing serface when the suspension articulates
                            Did the leak start after the clips where removed?

Comment

I drained out some trans oil, a little at a time, and the rear hatch oil spattering stopped.

Where is the ''vent'' on the stick tranny?

Comment

Working...
                              X