Leaky passenger axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky passenger axle

At the rate things are messing up and being repaired, one would have to run out of things to replace, right? Well now my passenger axle on the 93 GL Auto is leaking fluid, and its not the seals, but rather the axle itself. Apparently it's not being secured in the transmission as it can move in and out slightly. A temporary fix is to jack the car up and push the axle back in to stop it from leaking. Everything else in the related areas are tight however. I checked axle hub nut, tie rod end, strut mounting bolts and nuts, control arm and bushings and sway bar and bushings. I jacked up my 88 LX 5 Speed for comparison, and there was absolutely no axle play whatsoever.

Also, the axle is new on the car

Comment

Missing/broken circlip?

Comment

The axle has to move in ond out of the transmission slightly as the wheel turns corners. The outer end is fixed at the wheel.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

A small amount of axial movement of the stub into the transaxle is normal, more than a 1/16 inch would be excessive.
          I have noticed a number of new axle assemblies are poorly made and have too much radial play where installed into the transaxle, combined with a budget seal, will leak.
          Last edited by Dragonhealer; 06-11-2018, 08:50 AM.
          No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
          X