Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All of you are going to hate me (starting issues)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of you are going to hate me (starting issues)

I bought me a sweet 88 carb'd festiva about three years ago now. I immediately became a member of this forum to try and answer questions and just peruse. Now I have an issue and hope you all might have a better starting point than I. (sorry for not being a better member)

The car has been nothing but reliable for me in the last three years but now I am having a starting issue. The ol' gal is an 88 festy carb'd with what I hope to be 140k. I've only replaced tires, battery, battery cables, and the starter since I've had her. It started in november with a pile of starting issues, battery and cables, then I went ahead and replaced the starter because I could and was cost effective for a lifetime warranty part and the old one was starting to get weak. Since then I haven't had issues until yesterday when I warrantied the starter (it didn't want to start so I just replaced it). While I was replacing the starter/charging new battery I accidentally knocked the coolant reservoir cap off. Started right away after the starter and batt charge. During that time I went inside (90 Degrees outside) only to look outside 10-15 minutes later to a smoking car. NOW...... Dash lights come on every third or fourth time I turn the key to the running position AND the starter doesn't even sound like the starter gear is extending AND the rpm gauge will bounce when I feel like it should be turning over, the good news is I can pop start it and it runs like a top once its started. All of the old fusible links are replaced with fuses, I haven't put the original starter back in and every fuse I've tested is good so........ In summation I'm just pissed and about to put her to the back of the project list... Any input would be great and super helpful if anyone has ideas.

Try shorting two terminals on starter to see if it still works. I actually have a remote starter switch which is just a hand held switch with two wires with clips on the end. I put one clip on each terminal to turn over the motor when checking compression, etc. Some people just lay a screw driver shaft accross both terminals to get the motor to turn over. Be sure to disonnect the coil so the engine doesn't actually start and the gears should be in neutral. Hope that helps diagnose the problem.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I'll build one tonight and try it out. Its been 95 here during the day lately and its been making me hate working on it.

Comment

Check out that battery too if you're getting weird electrical issues in other places of the car the battery could be fried

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        Festiver
        93 L find/5 speed
        BP/g15mr swapped
        Aspire brake swapped
        Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
        stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
        rustful
        maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
        advanced suspension
        kai/skeeter camber
        b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

Working...
        X