89 Festiva Automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Festiva Automatic

So last year Old Yellow gave me an 89 Festiva Automatic that was running but with the engine was bad (smoking and main bearing knock). I have the good B3 that I pulled out of my 93 when I put in the B6 so I took only the engine block and head from the 93 and swapped everything else from the 89 over. When I pulled the engine out of the 89 I noticed the transmission mount was broken so I got the correct transmission mount for an automatic from Jesse and put it on the transmission.

Now the problem is........When I lower the engine in and attempt to line up all three mounts it just does not work. Regardless of the configuration one mount does not line up. Whichever hole(s) is not even close, probably off by about an inch.

I know that the 89 automatic is a "unicorn" but I was under the impression that the blocks were the same as other years.

I even wondered if one of the previous owners may have bent the subframe that the transmission and the front motor mount attach to (the reason for the broken mount). Are the sub frame for the automatic interchangeable with the sub frame for a 5 speed (I have one)?

Thanks

I believe the subframes are interchangeable. There is some minor differences. I've converted 2 autos to 5 spds without changing the subframe.

Comment

You will have to measure and compare the underbody distances with the dimensions from the shop manual.
      If it has been hit, don't waste any money on straightening. Just get another Festiva from Cali, Arizona or New Mexico.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 06-24-2018, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X