Surging at 2000 to 2300 rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surging at 2000 to 2300 rpms

Car surges between 2000 and 2300 rpm in every gear and in neutral it's like a rev limiter I have a parts car changed tps, mass air ,distributer,coil and everything on coil bracket

Tell us a little more about the car if you could. What year, what engine?

How old is the Fuel Filter and Pump?

Is is bucking between 2000 and 2300 or it won't go past 2300?
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

When a car surges does it mean it's getting a rich mixutre - to much fuel or not enough air? That would eliminate the igntiion system and timing?
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It 1990 with 1.3ltr 5 speed it will not pass 2300 rpms pulled fuel line to rail had good fuel there then pulled return line had good fuel at tail end of fuel rail I changed steering callum recently because of a bad key and tumbler

Comment

It sounds like a low fuel pressure problem to me, is that something you are able to check?

May be caused by an old Fuel Pump, Clogged Filter, bad Fuel Pressure Regulator or maybe a vacuum leak.
          Last edited by firebush357; 06-28-2018, 08:52 AM.
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

Have you tried adding something to the fuel to clean out the system?
            There is also a known problem with older rubber hoses leading into the fuel filter collapsing due to a sharp bend in the hose. They can be replaced with a long piece with a gentler bend.
            Last edited by WmWatt; 06-28-2018, 09:42 AM.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I may have been confused about the terminology. Surging = speeding up. Bogging = slowing down. Sounds like you have bogging?

Comment

Originally posted by Scottwebb View Post
                It 1990 with 1.3ltr 5 speed it will not pass 2300 rpms pulled fuel line to rail had good fuel there then pulled return line had good fuel at tail end of fuel rail I changed steering callum recently because of a bad key and tumbler
                First question: Have you done any other work on the car recently?

Second question: Does it make any difference whether you use half or full throttle to increase rpm?

Next: What do you mean by "good fuel"? Are you saying it had pressure? How much? I think parts stores will loan a fuel pressure gauge.
                From my 1991 Ford Festiva repair manual:
                "The pressure regulator...will always maintain fuel pressure at a constant 250kPa (36.6 psi) above intake manifold pressure"
                So at WOT, fp should be ~36psi
                idle fp should be ~22psi
                A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
                Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

I got it it was the plug in the wiring harness running over the distributor 3 of the wires green sprayed electric parts cleaner in socket after I pulled the yellow inserts out worked the cleaner with small hobby paint brush and sand paper sprayed cleaner again and blowed it out with compressed air it's a new car now ever the cooling fan started working I don't now how to post pics or I would or I would post one of the plug hope this helps someone

Comment

Originally posted by Scottwebb View Post
                    I got it it was the plug in the wiring harness running over the distributor 3 of the wires green sprayed electric parts cleaner in socket after I pulled the yellow inserts out worked the cleaner with small hobby paint brush and sand paper sprayed cleaner again and blowed it out with compressed air it's a new car now ever the cooling fan started working I don't now how to post pics or I would or I would post one of the plug hope this helps someone
                    Upload your picture to imgur.com and then you can then you can copy and paste the BBCode into your post. I think W4rky has a more detailed walk through if you want to PM him.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X