Rear Wheel Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Wheel Bearings

Hey I was just wondering how the replacement of a rear wheel bearing with drum brake goes down? Is it pressed in or is it similar to BA/BF wheel bearing? Do I need any special tools? Or does anyone have a link to WB series workshop manual?

95 Festiva rear drum brakes.

The bearing race is pressed into the hub but they can be knocked out with a hammer and screwdriver and then press the new ones in with a Hammer and press tool or a proper sized socket. The bearings themselves just drop in after being packed and then put fresh seals in.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

The old race can also be used to drive in the new.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
        As long as they are in good condition, which they usually are.
        Last edited by firebush357; 07-10-2018, 11:45 AM.
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

One side's nut is reverse thread, I think it's the passenger side, if I recall.
          Rick
          1993 Ford Festiva
          1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
          1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
          2000 Ford E350

Comment

Tightening the nut that keeps the bearings tight properly is usually the tricky part.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I found this out by accident, it was zero degrees out and had to do one side rear bearings outside. I knocked out my old races with a punch wiped out as much old grease etc, as I could with a rag, rinsed it with gasoline and lit it to speed up the dry time cause I was in a hurry when the gas burned out my races practically fell in the hole and my drum was clean.
              30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

The left rear spindle has a left-hand thread spindle nut. Otherwise, what others said about changing the bearings/races is correct. You can change the left rear spindle with a new right rear spindle and eliminate having to worry about the left hand threaded nut.
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkdoc60 View Post
                  The left rear spindle has a left-hand thread spindle nut. Otherwise, what others said about changing the bearings/races is correct. You can change the left rear spindle with a new right rear spindle and eliminate having to worry about the left hand threaded nut.
                  It's the passenger, or right, side of the rear that has the reverse threads. I just the bearings on that wheel yesterday.
                  Ian
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada
                  93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                  59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                    It's the passenger, or right, side of the rear that has the reverse threads. I just the bearings on that wheel yesterday.
                    Ian
                    Haha! You are right. My mistake. My car has two spindles with right-hand threads. 20 years ago, the right rear needed to be replaced and there were no left threaded ones available at the time. For some reason, I was thinking it was the left.
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                    88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                    88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                    06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
                      I found this out by accident, it was zero degrees out and had to do one side rear bearings outside. I knocked out my old races with a punch wiped out as much old grease etc, as I could with a rag, rinsed it with gasoline and lit it to speed up the dry time cause I was in a hurry when the gas burned out my races practically fell in the hole and my drum was clean.
                      I learned this trick a few years ago. Weld a bead around the old race, and put the new race in the freezer for a few hours ahead of time. As the bead cools, and contracts, the race just falls out, and the new one slips in. No hammer or punch needed.

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                      If I get stuck doing this I usually cut a slit in the race with an angle grinder to ease getting it back out.
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Bit of a paradox. Stock reverse thread confuses those who don't know about it. Relacing with regular thread confuses those who do.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                        X