Not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not starting

Ok so a few months back was working on car running correctly I ran out of gas and took me sometime to try again now it's not starting it will occasionally try to but does out immediately or won't go to start at all so I took to a shop and now a week later they don't know ordered a part and replaced it without permission I think the ecm or something like that which I had already place so to finish any suggestions to get it started

Is the car fuel injected (1989 and later) or carburetted (1988-1989)?
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

fuel injection 91

Comment

Could've clogged the filter, you'll need to check your fuel pressure. The whine from the fuel pump is pretty loud, should be able to hear it as your turning the key/engine over.

The fuel pump relay is located up underneath the dash on the driver/left side/wall and is held in by 1 screw. Its pretty big for a relay and is black/yellow

You can remove that, and test it with the battery, or as you turn the key, try and listen for its "click".

And obviously, check the fuses.

Also after you've turned it over for a few seconds, pull and check the spark plugs, if fuel is getting to the injectors the spark plugs will be wet with fuel.

As far as voltage, at the plug end that connects to the fuel pump, im getting 11.7volts on mine. Might have to turn the key over while doing this as the fuel pump only engages while the engine is starting.

The mechanism that controls this is the VAF/MAF sensor that sits right over the air cleaner, it has a trap door that should swing open very easily, it can get gummed up and might be stuck closed or dragging.
        Last edited by Solmangrundy; 07-27-2018, 06:23 AM.

Comment

I find the easiest way to check for fuel is to pull the hose the goes into the rail and just stick it in a bottle and crank for a second. If you have fuel check for spark and compression.
          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

My no-start issue when i picked up my festiva was cruddy stuck valves from years of sitting. A leak down test or compression test will reveal this.

You'll have 0 compression on the cylinders effected amd air will leak out of either the exhaust pipe or intake manifold depending on which valve is stuck open.
            Last edited by Solmangrundy; 07-27-2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

My go to is always supply some fuel,spray some carb cleaner into the manifold. Does it start on carb cleaner? You start checking the fuel system. Won't start on carb clean.Then check for spark, no spark you have an ignition problem. Got spark? Its time to check compression.

30 seconds and you will know if it is fuel related.
              1 minute later you will know if it is an ignition problem.
              Lastly you can start pulling plugs and doing the more time consuming diag. Just my expierience.
              Last edited by ricko1966; 07-27-2018, 02:35 PM.
              30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
              X