Fuse link help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse link help!!

Has anybody changed the three fuse links in the engine compartment to something other that fuse links? The module they plug in to on mine is pretty corroded and was wondering if someone had any insight on changing these links to something else like maybe circuit breakers? I do know that regular blade fuses will not work as they cannot handle small surges. Found that out the hard way. Btw mine is a 91 festiva. Thanks and any help will be greatly appreciated!

Yup! Clean that corrosiom and install these. Info is in the link along with answers to a lot of other common festiva questions!
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/187474...50971241739959

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

With a terminal extractor, carefully release the two tabs on the outside terminals (without cracking the fuse link housing.
      Wire wheel the terminals and then reinsert them.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the picture and if I’m not mistaken it’s 15 amp 25 amp and 15 amp correct? Believe it or not mine is chipped in that same exact spot lol thanks again!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the picture and if I’m not mistaken it’s 15 amp 25 amp and 15 amp correct? Believe it or not mine is chipped in that same exact spot lol thanks again!

Comment

Thanks for the help to both of you and i don’t know why it posted my response twice. The car would not start sometimes and I would go out and wiggle the fuse links and it would start right up. Then it done the same thing with the headlights, they stopped working I wiggled the fuse links again and they would come back on. So I decided to just find a solution for it.

Comment

Well, according to the OE wiring diagrams - it should be 15, 25, 15 - But these guys have been doing this a while and they may know better. BTW - careful with those corroded terminals - they can break. (I have a 92 with one fuse link bypassing the little box - the terminal broke)
              186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
              1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
              1992 aqua L (agua)
              1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

The reason for the higher than stock amperage is they blow a little easier. I went with a 50amp in the middle because i am actually drawing 50amps from my alternator. Normally that shouldnt happen.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

There is no need to bypass.
                  Replacement Yazaki terminals are available from easternbeaver.com
                  It is a good idea to replace all of the corroded terminals, instead of cleaning them.
                  You only lose approximately ¼ inch. Then, you'll be good for another thirty years.
                  There is nothing like the smell of fresh brass!

Last edited by bravekozak; 07-28-2018, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Is that box of terminals a kit they sell ? I could not find it on their site. How about the heading it is under ?
                    186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
                    1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
                    1992 aqua L (agua)
                    1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

No kits.
                      Main Page - Electrical Products - Terminals

I get all my connectors from the junk yard for free.

Comment

^^^ "I get all my connectors from the junk yard for free."
                        Kenny's U-pull charges a $2 admission now. You pay even if you don't find what you want.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Something I favor turned up when I was working on RV's, believe it or not. There are what are called "SELF RE-SETTING BREAKERS" in various AMP ratings, and what they do is when they get hot they break the contact. Once they cool down again - they re-connect. so what you have is a breaker that doesn't have to be replaced.

Check this AMAZON link:

BREAKERS
                          Last edited by Greywolf; 07-30-2018, 07:49 PM.
                          Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

My favorite yard is on an Indian reservation. Very few people go there. I am usually the only person in the yard on weekdays.

There is no such thing as admission fees. We exchange greeting and stories. There are three Festivas and one Aspire in the yard.

Last edited by bravekozak; 07-31-2018, 05:54 AM.

Comment

The instant I saw that car I thought:
                              "Must be a Lakota Reservation up north somewhere" - and then I noticed your location!

That is definitely northern rust on that poor little buggy...
                              Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Working...
                              X