1988 Festiva Not passing Smog in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Festiva Not passing Smog in California

I have a 88 festiva that not passing smog..in California.I had the cat convertor replaced and the carb rebuilt.It almost pass without problems this except for replacing a sensor that caused a ck engine light to go on.I fixed that problem took it to someone that discovered bad vaccum lines..that was replaced.Now the car is still running rich..HELP what's the problem? Could it be the MAP sensor not telling the system to lean the engine out?

HELP..Thanks for reading

Oxygen sensor?

Comment

I already replaced the O2 about a couple years ago..

Comment

I don't think carburetted models have a MAP sensor.
        Another device which controls air/fuel mixture is automatic choke. Could check that it's not sticking due to dirty linkages but if the car was rebuilt I imagine they checked that when reinstalling.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

There is on this carb version mounted on the firewall is the map sensor..I will go ahead and replace the O2 sensor. The carb has been rebuilt a couple years ago. The car has been not driven in a while cause of head work

Comment

If you can't find anything wrong, put a gallon of E85 in the tank on top of 4 gallons of gasoline, be sure to drive 20 miles before going to emissions, fill tank with gas after you leave.
            Float level could be a bit high if carb was not rebuilt carefully.
            No car too fast !

Comment

Head work suggests head gasket may not be airtight. Could try misting around the seam between the head and block to see if engine reacts.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                Head work suggests head gasket may not be airtight. Could try misting around the seam between the head and block to see if engine reacts.
                I would think a leak at the head gasket, would allow in air, and lean out the mix. Not make it too rich.

Comment

Thanks Everyone..I will let You know what happens

Comment

Working...
                  X